can T1-11 support the weight of a storm window

We just put a new "skin" of T1-11 around an old pole barn on our property. It used to have old broken glass windows from some salvage or another and now it's completely dark inside.

I looked at all kinds of windows and found that storms are the cheapest and lightest-weight solution. I'm wondering if the T1-11 is strong enough to support a smallish (24 x 39) storm window without additional framing. It gets really windy out here. I would put a decorative frame of 1 x 4s around the outside. Home Depot has storms of just about any size for $30 and the holes are pre-drilled.

I want to keep this simple and low-cost because the barn is pretty rough and we are building a new garage. We will probably never have electricity out there, although I may hang a 4' florescent utility light and run an extension cord when I really need it.

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.

Reply to
Lyne

What's the spacing on the studs?

Screwed to the siding on an "old pole barn" it would probably be okay, not the best but okay because i'ts basically just hanging there by the screws and possibly sitting a little bit on the siding. The thing to keep in mind is that if you cut the hole in the siding you're also going to cut the upright members (studs) which support the top plate(s) and the ceiling joists and or rafters above. 2 foot span is not a biggee but it's not professional nor code to do what you're intending without a header and cripples over the window and a sill plate with cripples under the window.

Reply to
the_plumber

If it were mine, I'd frame the opening with a frame of 2x4s laid flat against the skin. This should stiffen the skin enough to support the window.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Since both sides of the skin appear to be available, why not do it the right way and put sills/headers/studs in. Even cheap construction should be done right. Short-cuts usually are a bad idea. Yes it could get rather pricey using new lumber but it's a crude barn, use salvage lumber.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

After re-thinking that, it is overkill. All that is really needed is to stiffen up the panel that the window is going in. Apply a frame of one by lumber laid flat on the inside of the skin. Extend the horizontals a few feet beyond the window cut-out on both sides. The window will have to be nailed into something more than just the T1-11 anyhow.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

while you're at it, get ahold of the cheapest white/light paint you can get, and paint up the inside of the barn. The light coloring will double the effectiveness of whatever light you DO get inside.

Reply to
Goedjn