Can't remove this

Get Linux, and you can have totally screw driver proof screws.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

re: "Anyhow, the boss said that simple possession of the key was proof that a copy was permitted."

You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, right?

What would be the point of marking them Do Not Duplicate if anyone who was in possession of them was automatically authorized to have them duplicated? Are you supposed to mark them Do Not Duplicate and then put them a drawer? I guess you wouldn't have to mark them if you were going to do that, would you?

Granted, you, I and anyone with half a brain knows that actually getting them duplicated is not going to be a problem, but that doesn't make you boss's statement right.

At best, the marking of the keys *might* give the actual owner of the keys the right to discipline/fire the person who had the keys duplicated.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hear ya go...

hello derbydad03 well i been selling this item already in diff web site they never had ask me that before i think are available to the general public.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Anyhow, the boss said that simple possession of the key was proof that a copy was permitted."

You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, right?

CY: yes, that's been on my mind for a few years.

What would be the point of marking them Do Not Duplicate if anyone who was in possession of them was automatically authorized to have them duplicated?

CY: But of course, the DND key is "supposed" to allow the boss to hand out a key, get it back, and be fairly sure there are no dups out there.

Are you supposed to mark them Do Not Duplicate and then put them a drawer? I guess you wouldn't have to mark them if you were going to do that, would you?

CY: or simply not issue the keys to employees.

Granted, you, I and anyone with half a brain knows that actually getting them duplicated is not going to be a problem, but that doesn't make you boss's statement right.

CY: Right, the boss was looking at his own income, not looking at the customer's best interests.

At best, the marking of the keys *might* give the actual owner of the keys the right to discipline/fire the person who had the keys duplicated.

CY: That's a thought.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I add my support to the claims of no authorization required to obtain Tri-Wing bits and screws...

They are NO LONGER considered security screws, they are however an improvement to vandal resistance over standard slotted, Phillips, Torx, Allen and Robertson fasteners... Even the screws and bits with the "security" shafts in them are no longer considered security...

If you are looking for something truly secure and of limited distribution then try this company -- Bryce Fastener of Gilbert, Arizona...

They offer true security fastener products...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Thanks. that makes good reading. Sounded a bit uncertain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, THAT looks good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 4/9/2010 10:53 AM Existential Angst spake thus:

I have the same set from HF. It has two different tri-wing bits in it, so the OP can probably remove those screws with it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yup... Good but expensive... We had issues with people trying to disassemble doors and locks on the loading docks and the panels inside an elevator cab to try and access unauthorized area for a mall I used to work at...

A few thousand of these bolts in several sizes and three different bit sizes to install and remove them and no one could take any of the trim plates off the mortise locksets to unlock them using the stopworks under the trim piece...

Although you can use these screws with a screw gun I would not recommend it, as you can FUBAR the bit a lot easier and often times you are using the fasteners on delicate things you wouldn't want to use a screw gun on in the first place like door lock trim coverplate pieces, coverplate screws on electrical boxes and the like...

If you don't want to buy into something that is totally unique to you, the Penta-Plus fasteners are definitely a step up from anything that claims to be a "security" fastener...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Heh.... I feel better now!

Reply to
Existential Angst

On 4/9/2010 8:21 PM Evan spake thus:

Heh; "Penta-Plus" reminds me of those 5-sided boltheads on top of fire hydrants that apparently can only be loosened with a pentagonal wrench the fire dep't. carries.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You really don't need to use them for every single fastener. Just enough of them among the regular fasteners to prevent dissassembly.

Reply to
salty

..

Incorrect... If you only used one in a situation where two or three fasteners are required, you would encounter a damaged and vandalized device where the normal fasteners were removed and the individual seeking unauthorized entry has tried to pry the panel enclosure loose after unscrewing what they could... If they can not remove ANY fasteners they will have to use brute force methods to gain entry that will be readily apparent...

The cost of repairing and replacing the damaged equipment is usually much greater than the cost of $2-ish per fastener to secure it using the security fasteners...

The point behind using security fasteners is to NOT allow people to put something back together after they have taken it apart to covertly access something...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Not to mention, to intimidate them into not even trying, and going elsewhere. Anti-vandal fasteners will at best slow down a professional thief. But professional thiefs are rare. Much more common is an idiot kid or druggie, and if all the fasteners don't match any of the three tools they brought with them, they may decide that if they can't get in quietly, it isn't worth the trouble or risk.

Reply to
aemeijers

The DND keys I have seen (and have several on my keyring) are all blank styles a hardware store is unlikely to have. (Russwin something-or-other, in the case of the building where I work.) Any local locksmith that has the blanks in stock knows damn well where the key came from, and will tell you NO. I suppose if I went a couple towns away, and spun a line of bull, I could get them copied, but it is hardly worth the trouble. If there is ever a door I need to open, and my keys won't do it, I just get the on-duty rent-a-cop up there with his keyring to do it. He can log my name and the time and date all he wants.

I'm pretty sure the trade association code of ethics for locksmiths includes something about not making keys if they have reason to doubt the story of the person bringing the original key in. And if not them, all it would take is one or two documented incidents for his bonding company to cancel him out, even if they didn't have to pay out any money. For a locksmith with regular customers with lots of locks that need to be worked on regularly, getting a reputation as somebody who sells bootleg keys could quickly put you out of business. Erring on the side of caution is only sensible.

Reply to
aemeijers