Can't get the nut off the toilet shutoff valve.

Toilet sprung a leak, so I replaced the flush valve and the water inlet pipe. Fixed that. Unfortunately, turning off the valve to do so created a small leak around the shaft. I can't get the nut off to replace the packing.

It's in a small alcove next to the shower. I've got about a foot width to work in. Can't get two hands in there.

I expect the impact driver would take it off, but also create another leak inside the wall. I really don't want to dismantle the toilet so I can get better access.

I'm soaking it in Kroil penetrating oil to see if that helps.

I'm trying to figger out how to get two wrenches on it and squeeze them together with one hand to get torque on the nut, but not on the pipe in the wall.

Suggestions?

Reply to
mike

Did you turn the valve all the way open until it stopped ?

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you can replace the entire valve, do so.

I have also found that if I just wrap a sock around a slightly leaking valve, it will absorb the water and when it evaporates, the calcium will seal the leak.

Reply to
philo

A foot wide doesn't sound so small. How about a socket with a long extension and another wrench to hold it? Or you can wedge the holding wrench so you don't need to hold it.

Reply to
trader_4

Clean the valve stem with a piece of rough cloth. Grease the stem and turn the valve to the off position. Turn back on and grease the shaft again then turn off and back on. When you last turn on be sure valve is seated against packing. Works sometimes, sometimes does not.

Reply to
Mr.E