Can decorative concrete retaining wall blocks be used for a lakeshore wall?

Can the decorative 6"x18" concrete blocks, normally used for retaining walls, be used for a 30-36" retaining wall along a lake shore? About half of the wall will be under water during the summer but the water is lower in the winter and the wall will not be under water then.

I am talking about the type of blocks which Lowes, HD etc. sell, with a lip on the back so each course sits a little back from the course below so the whole wall has a backslant.

If I can use them, are there any changes to the recommended installation for such an application?

There is an existing stone wall there, but after ~80 years it is collapsing.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

Private lake or public waterway?

If it's public, I'd ask whoever is responsible for your local code enforcement. Maybe the block is OK, but maybe they have specific installation steps that must be taken.

If it's private, I'd contact the manufacturer of the product(s) you are looking at and get their advice.

Seems like there are so many variables in this type of situation (not the just the environmental factors (ice, water, leaching), but also the different products available) that getting some expert advice would be the best course (PI) of action.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Not the least of which is how you keep it straight and in place. Normally you need some kind of stabilized base to support it. I guess if the water pulls back in winter, might be possible to do the work then, but depending on where it is, God only knows what all plans and permits you need.

Reply to
trader_4

Private lake.

The town does not need a permit for a wall under 4 feet. I am under that.

The lake association which owns the lake encourages abutters to build walls, but yes I need to check for their own rules for such things. I'm asking whether such blocks can be used this way assuming all the rules are otherwise followed. The existing fieldstone and mortar wall failed due to frost heaving behind it, but if something I build "only" lasts 80 years like the old one, it's fine since I'll be dead by then :-)

Reply to
Michael Moroney

Don't you think the manufacturer(s) would know the best way to use their product? Seriously. Get some make/model numbers and call their support line. If the first tier customer service reps don't seem to be giving you information that makes you comfortable, escalate it.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson