Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner?

How much?

Reply to
me

Does it absolutely *have* to be an upright?

I'm still using an Electrolux "Automatic G" canister vacuum that my parents bought new in 1961. This model is still available, occasionally, on eBay.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Electrolux

Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

Reply to
Shane Hecker

Been here, done this. I had (and still have) a Kirby...it does OK.

However, I also have a SEBO vacuum...and that one does a helluva better job than the Kirby, and the Kirby is good.

The SEBO has an automatically adjusted beater-bar/brush that automatically adjusts to the carpet height....why is this important....it keeps the correct amount of suction so that the dirt is "really" vacuumed.

I vacuum with both, and always feel the Kirby is the better of the two. And get this, it costs less than a Kirby...I paid about $600.00 for the SEBO. Good luck

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I think you need to review your vacuum cleaner use rather than looking at vacuums. How often and for how long a period do you use the vacuum and do you use the correct settings for the floor? Is some one using the vacuums on long extension cords or great distance from the main with too small wiring?

I&#39;ve never seen any vacuum that didn&#39;t last at least 5 years and most seem to last 10,15, or 20 years. Even our first cheap role around is still being used in my garage and to vacuum cars and it is 30 years old. That said, our current Hoover (was top of the line) is more than 5 years old and ours works perfectly as well a friends down the street and the MIL&#39;s (all the same model).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have 2 friends that rave about their Dyson&#39;s, because of their pets. :)

Since I don&#39;t have pets, I recently bought another Eureka for 2 reasons however. No. 1) I refuse to pay %600 for something I hate to do; and 2) Eureka Boss Model 4870 was rated Consumer Digest&#39;s Best Buy at $150-$165.

Plus my last Eureka upright had worked for 10 yrs., until my daughter got a hold of it recently. :\\

Guess it depends on what you can afford, and prefer in features/accessories. Good luck... bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Yep, Kirby. We have an old one bought for $400 (used) about 20 years ago. It works great. Of course it gets plugged up once in a while....learn how to take apart the carpet head to clean the brushes yourself or to put on a new rubber band to drive the roller. Or take it in to a Kirby vacuum repair place and let them go through it and fix stuff (may need new brushes in the motor etc.) The Kirby&#39;s are guaranteed for life. If you bought one new you would never have to buy another. My son is selling Kirbys for a summer job. New they are veddy veddy expensive. But they last a lifetime because they are so well made. Find a used one and buy it. It comes with a hose and tools to do wood floors, upholstry, refridgerator coils etc.

Reply to
jan326

Cheri wrote: [..]

How much did you pay for it? How long have you had it?

Reply to
Amanda

Which stores sell canister type Hoover?

Reply to
Amanda

I&#39;ve heard good things abt Simplicity and Riccar vacuums

Anyone have one of those?

They are sister brands I think

Reply to
me

I haven&#39;t looked at the one&#39;s at Sams Club as I am not A member but you should be able to find out at the manufacturers web site the model numbers and if they are the same you should be good to go. would be cautious of numbers that were "almost" the same though as they might be pulling the trick that H.D. does with Lincoln welding machines. The numbers are "almost" the same as the ones at the welding supply stores but you can see they are built cheaper than the real pro models. Sorry I didn&#39;t get back to you sooner but I am home only on my days off. I live 85 miles from work so I stay in town on work days.

H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

We went through about 5 $80 vacuums like Kenmore, Hoover, Eureka, etc. in about 2 years ($400 wasted). We bought an Oreck for about $250 2 years ago. Included about 20 free bags, a free powerful small canister type vacuum with attachments for getting in tight places (great for cars too), and a free cordless clothes iron. The Oreck is wonderful. It&#39;s VERY powerful. It sucks up a ton of gunk, so you&#39;ll be changing bags more often. And it&#39;s lightweight. Stay away from all the shiny hunks of plastic vacuums at Target, Kmart, etc..

Reply to
grappletech