Can a single family home have multiple addresses?

They did that here but it can still be confusing because there are about a dozen "Coconuts" (Street, Road, Way, Lane, Boulevard, Circle, Avenue, Highway, Row, Trace etc). We also have the problem that they joined a lot of streets together so a road may change names a few times with no obvious difference to the driver. Gladiolus turns into 6 Mile Cypress Parkway, Ben C Pratt Parkway and ends up being Ortiz Avenue. We have a number of those type things going on in Ft Myers as scattered neighborhoods were annexed by city and they built roads linking things together.

Reply to
gfretwell

Go to DC, they run the whole alphabet up to W (no x,y,z), then start with 2 syllable names and then 3 syllable names sequentially by the first letter. That works for streets but "avenues" and "roads" are dropped in somewhat randomly, avenues usually starting at a traffic circle. Roads tend to be in places that L'enfant did not plat.

Reply to
gfretwell

Here they just come up with a cutesy name for "street" here. "TRace" seems to be popular all of a sudden for these new neighborhoods but the street names usually get changed to something more original during the development review while there are still cows walking around on the property.

One hint in Florida. Never buy next to cows. They are just there to placate the tax man. One day soon there will be big yellow machines scraping that down to the sand and something you don't want will be built there.

Reply to
gfretwell

That sounds like Cape Coral. The place is sliced up by canals and if you don't have a good map you can get within a couple hundred yards of your destination and be over a mile away by the roads you have to take to get there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not road name related but definitely related to being "so close but yet so far":

My son bought a 30 ft RV trailer. On his first trip he used Google to map a route to a campground. He followed the route all the way until he was so close he could see the campground on the other side of the river. He could also see the sign right in front of him that read "No RV's allowed on Dam."

He got out, looked behind him and luckily there was only one pick-up truck behind him. He also noticed that there was a road not too far back that branched off at 45° angle. All he had to do was back onto that road instead of making a complete U turn, for which there was no room.

He explained to the pickup driver what he needed to do and that guy was nice enough to go back and block the intersection so my son could back up without worrying about anyone getting in his way.

On his way back to a bridge that he could use to get across the river (adding 45 minutes to his trip) he downloaded an app that would give him routes that would work for him while towing the RV.

Live and learn...

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We spent a week in the Mt Hood area based at this "cabin" we rented

was one of the coolest trails we hiked and we found it by accident driving on a dirt road coming back from the Gorge. (Top Spur)
takes you up to the PCT

gfretwell

The last I heard they were still driving around Michigan on expired Florida tags and a letter from the Mi SoS saying they screwed up along with a copy of the two tag/title applications from April. Update; I just got a text, they still don't have tags. Maybe mailing you a sticker is easier than processing a title but it is still ridiculous. I could get out of the local tax collector's office with new tags and an electronic title in less than an hour.

Reply to
gfretwell

We've got some of those. Cruise down North St and you'll wind up in a pasture. There should be a sign 'To be continued'.

On digital maps they will often use Z levels to indicate the road is not on the same plane. When those get screwed up your TomTom might suggest a right hand turn in the middle of an overpass. Technically it is the shortest path but it's rough on vehicles.

Reply to
rbowman

You haven't lived until some front office dweeb gives you directions for the route she uses in her Prius. Life sort of turns to shit when you get to the overpass marked 12' 5". Life is even shittier if you don't notice the sign...

Reply to
rbowman

Elevation, elevation, elevation... Unwary winter travelers sometimes think 'How much trouble can I get into in Flagstaff. It's Arizona, after all.' Or Donner Pass in sunny California, etc.

Reply to
rbowman

Thanks to covid I even got to register a new car online. It was March right after the lock down so the system wasn't quite put together. There was a warning that when you went to pay you would be redirected to Idaho's payment processor. It all worked out and the cops were ignoring expired registrations and so forth for a few months.

They charge a premium for credit cards for online renewals so I send them a check. They still nail you a buck for mailing the sticker but I'll gladly pay to never have to see DMV again. The pickup and bikes all have permanent plates so it's only the car.

Reply to
rbowman

BTDT

Walked through the old railway "tunnel". It was summer time though.

No dummy me. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We stayed at an Airbnb in a lush, green neighborhood within Portland. SWMBO is a big time gardener - at home and for a living. She was in awe at how green the entire neighborhood was. Tree canopies arching over the streets and yard after yard of beautiful landscaping.

We spent some days in the city and some days travelling around, even out to the coast.

Coolest coffee shop ever is in Astoria. Coffee Girl. It's in the old Hanthorn Cannery on Pier 39. Oldest cannery in the west. Bubble Bee products were canned there.

The cannery is (was?) set up like a rustic museum - some machines have posters with explanations, some machines are just "there". I found the old power plant, complete with big old generators. Some were half torn apart. Really cool old building.

I see that they've added 4 Airbnb spots inside the Cannery. "Fisherman's Suites" I wonder if they've upgraded the cannery museum also.

Marilyn Manson

The dealership takes care of that for us. We just pull the plates off our trade-in, put them on our "new" car, and away we go.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

That's handy. We get a paper plate and a month to get a real one. One year when I registered a bike they didn't have any motorcycle plates so I got another paper version to tape to an old car plate to put on the bike. It's a formality since all MC registrations are good for as long as you own the bike.

Reply to
rbowman

If you don't transfer old plates to a new car, you get a paper to stick in the back window. We haven't ever increased the number of cars we own, but I think when we traded in the Isuzu Trooper on a Chevy S10, the classification changed from "station wagon" to "truck" so we couldn't transfer the plate.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

The dealer did do it but these are new cars, no trade so we didn't have a plate to swap. They have copies of the dealer applications, canceled checks, insurance cards but no tags. One was Apr 4, the other Apr 12. They must be democrat union workers (fireproof). Your SoS admits it is their problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

They are running on one expired Fla paper tag from an Avis car lot, the other is an expired metal tag that was on the car when it was a rental, using the ultimate test drive deal. Avis says on the one bought through the rental counter, they will keep up the tags and insurance until the title clears but they did not renew the tag. It was 2 months and 26 days before expiration so I doubt they thought it would go on this long. The Avis insurance was OK as long as I was driving since I did the initial deal (I was on the rental contract) but once the kids started driving they had to put them on their own policy. The one from the car lot was just a regular car deal.

Reply to
gfretwell