Can a single family home have multiple addresses?

So, nothing said prior to this has been a "fact"?

Thanks for that. Who mentioned new construction?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

One might conclude that the process for registering an address with the post office is not restricted to just new construction, but any addition (or removal) of a delivery address; with new construction simply being an example of the process.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Lobsters are a problem. The California spiny lobster peters out around Monterrey. Go gorbal Warming!

The Pacific doesn't smell right to me. It's nice and all and Newport is interesting in a touristy sort of way but it's not Maine.

Reply to
rbowman

Some of the 1/2 addresses used to be carriage houses in some areas. Mother in law cottages or garages have also become 1/2 addresses over the years.

They are a thorn in my side. We have several linked databases where the address number is an integer.

Reply to
rbowman

How about the red necks in Puerto Rico? Each municipality is divided into several barrios which may be divided into subbarrios. They aren't very creative with street names so they all have Calle 1, Calle 2, etc.

I had reason to research the problem. The USPS has an entire document on dealing with PR addresses. There is a disclaimer that only the local mail carriers know for sure where stuff is.

Reply to
rbowman

The universal address system actually places the number on the GIS plot, whether there is a buildable lot there or not. It is supposed to help first responders and delivery people. If you draw a line east/west or north/south from 10806 (perpendicular to the street) every lot will be 10806. YMMV on how that really works but that was the plan.

Reply to
gfretwell

Up here you see things like 455A and 455B, even 455C where multiple residences occupy one address. Then there are buildings with addresses like 422-426 Whatever Street - generally either businesses or MURBs.

Some "rural" homes had multiple addresses for many years. There was the "fire number" -Lot and concession number, RR number, and occaisinally a street number all assigned to the same propety.

Fire number could be 564879, Lot 5 Concesseion 4 Pilkington Township, RR#1 Elora, and 5435 Wellington Road 7 could all refer to the same property (numbers just picked out of thin air)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

When I lived in CT, the Post office not only changed my address number but my street.

I bought a house at 79 Smith street but they told me I now live at 180 Jones Circle. My next door neighbor though was still on Smith street. His mail was delivered by a foot mailperson, I had a car delivery.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I didn't say that those activities aren't aren't available in Oregon, just that the link on the Portland Oregon Airbnb page listed things to do in Portland Maine.

The Airbnb host better leave a whole bunch of Keurig pods if they expect me to drive 3200 miles to see a whale. ;-)

BTW...I don't think I'd seen on Memorial Day since I was in Alaska back in the 70's.

Timberline Lodge, Mt Hood, Oregon

Marilyn Manson

My friends have a cottage on a small lake in Upstate NY. They are on their

3rd house number in 20 years. They have all 3 number plaques on the property. The original one is on the dock, the next one is on the shed and the current one is on a tree by the road.
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

The "block numbering" system has it's advantages, but is not common here.One block might have 5 lots, the next 15 because the county and the city were not surveyed on a "grid". Roads followed the predominant rivers and crossed where it was easy to put a bridge, then other roads joined the "impoertant" places by the shortest route - so we enf up with Kitchener and Waterloo with several main streets shared between them - the main 2, King and Weber running "parallel" to each other, crossing 3 times, and running north, south, east and west. North and south addresses are Waterloo, while east and west addresses are Kitchener. Majpr cross streets are the opposite - regardless which direction they (more or less) run and thankfully only one, as far as I can remember - Union Street - also has that dichotomy as it serves, more or less, as the border between the 2 cities. A few houses have Waterloo addresses but pay Kitchener taxes and there WERE a few houses that paid both taxes but that was remedied a number of years ago.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The DC Ed Center (branch office, parts center etc) was at 1801 K st Nw DC but it was also 1800 L street. They also had addresses on 18th street. It was still one big building.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know about the rest of the world but your lot gets assigned an address when that parcel is platted. My wife brought a community out of the ground and one of the first steps was to submit the plot plans to the county and the addresses were assigned at that step. Since the roads were private, there is a phantom address or two in the road. If they abandoned the road and sought zoning to build a house there, the replat would get that address activated. A vacant lot in a platted area has an address. We have had people with nothing on the lot but a boat ramp and a mailbox.

Reply to
gfretwell

A number of years ago our area came under 2 level "regional government" and they ran into the problem of smaller towns within the township sharing road names that did not connect - and the same road having several names over a distance of a couple miles, so streets were re-named and re-numbered. Also re-alignment of streets changed street names and numbers earlier on. Where I grew up was "factory street" up until about a year before we moved in, when it became part of "Riverside Drive" on our side of the main road(Church Street) and Duke street on the other side - where the 2 streets "almost" aligned. Then the province kept trying to decide if a stretch of higway was the

85 or 86 - changing that around several times in my lifetime brfore downloading half of it to the counties so now they are Route 86 and Listowel Road over parts of them -as well as, IIRC, at least one other name - and all the county and township roads went from numbered to named - with Sawmill Road going where there was never a sawmill, and some named after people who lived on the road or nearby several generations ago, etc. That's taken some getting used to!!!! (having grown up in the area knowing the roads by number)
Reply to
Clare Snyder

The vacant lot makes sense in that some day there may be a building there so the address will conform to the numbering system.

I don't know why they skipped every other number on our street since it is impossible to build in the 12 feet separating the houses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've seen the A, B, C, usually where the family farm was subdivided and additional houses built over the years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They skipped 5 between houses on my street and we are zoned 1/3d acre lots. I guess they are saying "never say never". Things might change. This is all part of the GIS mapping of addresses. If you have the GPS coordinates, you can predict the house number just based on the predominant direction the street runs. I think that is how Google Maps does it.

Reply to
gfretwell

6000'? I went up Blue Mountain, which is 6400', on Memorial Day. The lower portions of the trail go through an area that burned in 2003 so it was clear. The last half mile or so is on the north side of the peak and I was postholing through knee/thigh deep snow and crawling over or under fallen trees. The area around the fire tower was clear but once you got into the shade it was snow.

St Mary's Peak, which is over 9000' wasn't defrosted the last time I looked.

Reply to
rbowman

I have at least a half dozen mail carriers in my extended family but I'd bet there wasn't one of them who could say he delivered a car. I can't even imagine the postage on that thing.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

In Amsterdam, NL, 12 feet would be more than wide enough to build on.

Reply to
Jim Joyce