Cable TV and coax splitters

Thanks all for your input. Now you've really confusing me with the facts. Guess I just need to buy a new house.

Kidding :)

Cable in --> 2-way-splitter . One leg of that goes to the cable modem. Use whatever I decide size splitter on the other leg

Done deal.

tku

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Wouldn't an amp be reasonable in the following situation?

Cable comes in, and there is a splitter in the attic. Signal is fairly good coming into this splitter.

One branch goes to the computer room. The signal there is fine.

Other branch goes to the living room, where it goes to another splitter which I have not located, and the cable guy also failed to locate, and from there goes to two outlets in the living room.

This second splitter seems to be a not particularly good splitter, so the signal is borderline between fair and good in the living room.

Couldn't an amp be used between the two splitters, to boost the good signal coming out of the first splitter to compensate for the loss in the second splitter?

Not that I actually need it. Although the cable box reports the signal as fair most of the time, bordering on good, and occasionally dipping to poor, and the cable installer thought, when he used his meter, that it was too low to work and was surprised when I got a picture, in fact it has worked flawlessly for the 3.5 months I've been in this place. All channels are fine, including HD channels and channels using surround sound, and on-demand is fine, and my modem gets up to 20 mbit/second with PowerBoost. When watching the signal monitoring page, I've never seen an uncorrectable error reported, and only see an occasional correctable error reported. So my inclination is to just leave things as they are.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Given the this is his existing setup:

-------- | + --- modem in ---| 4 way + --- TV | + --- TV | + --- TV/DVR --------

why not this?

(with amp at * if needed).

This way, there is no change for the modem, one TV, and the TV/DVR. If there's going to be a problem, it will only be with one TV and/or the new TV. Why change the signal path of everything?

Reply to
Tim Smith

No... Either find the splitter and replace it, or pull a new piece of cable.

I don't know about your cable company, but mine would come in and do all the troubleshooting necessary to fix this for free.

Reply to
Noozer