Cable access box ideas

5 years ago or so when I drywalled my lower area, I added a cable splitter to the line that comes into the house (lower left corner of room). This was done inside the wall. Rather than build in some type of access panel then I simply covered it up.

Now that I'm looking to put HD into my house, I need to replace that splitter (I need a bidirectional splitter). Possibly even replace it with a combo amplifier/splitter. If so then I'd need to run a power line to an outlet. But I'll stick with replacing the splitter with a bi splitter if that's the easiest thing to cover up.

I'm trying to figure out an aesthetic way to do this. I could cut out a small section from stud to stud and add some wood to the top & bottom (inside the wall) for a box, then add some molding around the outside and replace the cut out with a piece of wood that's latched to the molding. (this is what I have in a closet for an access panel to the attic). But since this is in my family room I'm not sure how good that will look. Maybe cut out a section the size of an outlet box, but I doubt that would give me enough room to work. Maybe invent a time machine and go back 5 years... Was wondering if anyone had suggestions.

thanks.

Reply to
saag

Buy an old work low voltage ring 4x4. You then cut a hole to match the ring and it hangs by the ears on the ring. You can put a blank cover on it when you are done. A 4x4 hole should be plenty of room to work. Just be sure you get the right stud bay ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks, never heard of an 'old work low voltage ring' Is that something sold at your average HD/Lowes?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
saag

OK, after a quick internet search I see what you're talking about.

saag wrote:

Reply to
saag

buy standard electric boxes that bolt together and a blank cover.

this will match the room

Reply to
hallerb

Cut an opening large enough to properly do the work. The cover it with a return air grill from the BORG. Cost less then $10 and next remove 4 screws and you are in. Turn the louver upside down for a better look if you like.

Reply to
Colbyt