cabinet installation

I want to remove the bathroom vanity and replace it with a new one. Want to get one of the pre-made cabinets sold by HD or Lowes and use a lavatory top that covers the whole thing. My old cabinets were custom made when the house was built so they are not standard size. If I get the nearest size - which will be a little shorter* - will it be really hard to install those filler pieces? Does anyone know how they work and if a novice can do it? Looked for how-to-books at library but could not find anything. Thanks.

  • when I say shorter here, I actually mean the old ones measure 38 x 18 and the new ones 36 x 18. Sam heighth
Reply to
Dorot29701

Should be no problem to center it and install a 1 inch filler strip on each side. You may have to use a flexible p trap or do some minor re-plumbing to get the drain lined up correctly, but it's relatively straightforward as well.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

Construction adhesive works best.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

The fillers on the cabinet can be screwed though the side rails or glued. You will also need to buy some backsplash material to fill in the gap if you use a standard (cultured marble) style top.

Reply to
calhoun

easy as pie...just rip the fillers to the size you need(approx 1 inch per side) then use a good clamp to clamp the filler to the verticle side of the cabinet...then predrill holes and screw it securely....you may have to remove the door and or drawers to clamp the thing in several places...

Reply to
Chris Perdue