Buzzing Outlet

I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

Reply to
Pat

That is unusual. I suggest you unscrew the outlet from the wall and pull it out a bit and than listen for the buzz. You need to determine if it really is from the receptacle or something nearby. I like to use a cardboard paper towel tube up to my ear to listen more directionally (kind of like a stethoscope).

Use an outlet tester (the three prong thing with the lights that tell you if there is a wiring fault) to confirm continuity and proper hot neutral connection (though that wouldn't necessarily cause a buzz).

Do other Loads in this outlet cause the Buzz. A defective power supply in the TV might be feeding electrical noise back into the branch causing (and I am not sure how) something to vibrate.

Are you sure you are not just hearing noise from a different source (inside the TV)reflected off the wall near the receptacle?. Use some objects to block extranious noise paths.

Reply to
PipeDown

give it the words,

Reply to
SQLit

How old is your home. IT could be aluminum wire going bad or maybe just an bad connection. Aluminum wire is a special problem and if you have that you may have more than one problem. If it is newer home it will be copper wire and it still could be the connection to the outlet, especially if it is a back stab design where the wires are just stuck in the back and now screwed down on the side.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Replacing the outlet should have solved the issue. My first look would be checking for any loose connections. With the circuit OFF, tug on wires that are connected with a wire nut to make sure these connections are tight. Other things to consider: There may be something wrong with the circuit breaker (in the electrical box). You may be hearing a noise from another (unseen) source.

Reply to
Phisherman