Buying new TV

Careful. Most of their earnings come from suing people that type "Monster".

Reply to
G. Morgan

You should try Monster Energy Drinks, talk about overpriced.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Never tried it, but they provide huge sponsorships in Supercross (motorcycle racing) and at lest one in NASCAR for a former SC rider Ricky Carmichael.

Reply to
Ron

At least in the case of speaker wire there was some remote basis to argue that the characteristics of the cable could affect the sound quality because the signal is analog. Not saying that I believe their oxygen free story, just that the cable characteristics do have an affect on the analog signal. In the case of HDMI, all you need to determine at the ends of the cable are if the signal is high or low, ie 1 or 0, so there is far less basis to believe a typical HDMI cable needs to be anything special.

Reply to
trader4

Monster also sells audio cables with SIGNAL DIRECTION arrows printed on them to make sure you install them in the right direction!

Reply to
salty

Spend 500% more on a cable to get 0.000001% improvement in signal quality. What's that old saying about a fool and his money?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Obviously the folks at Monster are no fools! LOL

Reply to
salty

Bull. Google coat hangers vs monster cables.

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" wrote

Some years back, Stereo Review magazine blind tested expensive speaker wires versus lamp cord. No difference.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes; wouldn't want to get 'highs' confused with 'lows'! {:-)

Reply to
terry

Hmm, Really? digital bits should have no phase jitters to maintain signal quality. Any how, how many people in the world can hear/see the difference if we believe Monster's claim. There are better things to spend my hard earned money on. All HDMI cables I use is from eBay sellers in H.K. None of them gave me any sign of trouble. Maybe my eyes and ears are inferior to detect the poor quality cable. I am an advanced amateur musician all my life. I have pretty good set of ears, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

bud--

Did their study note that the quality of the connections can make a difference? I use a thick gauge of lamp cord instead of fancy speaker wire, because I am a cheap SOB, but all my vintage sound equipment uses push-in or binding post connections. For sound and video applications where the cable needs ends put on it, the connectors on the cheaper pre-mades are usually crap. The gold-plated connectors are probably meaningless unless you live on a beach, but a quality connector and a decent gauge of wire probably helps. Of course, I am not talking about modern miniature stereos, DVD players, and tiny speakers. The cables that come with those look like fishing line to me.

Reply to
aemeijers

^^^^^^^^^^

what does that mean? I've been meaning to ask you for years ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

That is a bit incomplete. Although the claims of premium cable companies such as Monster are mostly fairy tails, lamp cord in many applications would be too small a gauge to carry the signal properly, especially as the length of the run increases. I would agree that any generic wire of the same size would be fine. Monster tends to be in larger gauges than lamp cord. Size (and good connections) is what matters most. Advertising and marketing hype... not so much.

Reply to
salty

I'm almost surprised they don't specify left or right channel.

Reply to
salty

That pretty much covers it!

Reply to
salty

Oh, that is great.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Many of the professional sound system installers for nightclubs use rubber insulated #14 or #12 SO cord for speaker wiring. I'll use a lot of plastic jacketed #18/2 stranded for 70 volt PA systems going with a larger gage wire for the primary link only when getting into power levels of 100 watts or more.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You can count me in with the "heavy gauge zip cord" crowd. I do tin the ends to keep things neater. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but if I am, it's not really that important to me.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel