Buying a new chainsaw bar - sprocket vs no sprocket ?

I need to buy a 36 inch bar and chain for my trusty old Stihl 031 for basically a one job use (a 55 inch diameter Red Oak truck about 8 ft high - maybe 2-3 hrs of use but I want it to work and the prices are about the same at the web vendor -

- What are the pros and cons here if they price is no an issue ? -thanks

Reply to
rkpatt758

an 031 is going to have a hard time pulling a 36 inch bar and chain. if you buy 3/8, bar and chain, .063 guageit will be maybe 115 drive links. Just cause you can buy it and hookit up doesn't mean that it will work well. Better do your homework and run a 28 and come in from it like a pro.

Reply to
HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING

Yep, 36" is -way- too much bar for that saw. It is going to cut very slowly if at all in that tree. The pros consider a 20" about right and

24" about max on a 031. I run ms310 (same as 031) with 20", would have bought it with 24" but already had a 041 with 24".

Harry k.

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
rkpatt758

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com posted on that vast internet thingie:

Not realy sure what your question is, but the need to replace the sprocket would depend upon its condition. Generally I have replaced just bars and chains.

Steve at SELLCOM

Reply to
SELLCOM Tech support

SELLCOM Tech support had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If the chain size is being changed then the sprocket as well. Those sprockets stand up pretty good. I too have rarely needed to change them.

Reply to
Barney