Burning Pressure Treated Wood

While I've burned some very small amounts, I would recommend against burning treated for heat even in a closed stove and definitely not in an open fireplace. It's definitely not on the approved list "things to do".

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yes throw it away or burn outside and be sure nobody lives nearby downwind. There was a lady who posted for years on how CCA poisoned here verifyibly.

Reply to
m Ransley

"Never burn treated wood. Burning releases toxic fumes into the air and has been associated with serious arsenic poisoning." --

Hell Toupee

I have a lot of Pressure treated scrap wood left over from a summer project. While getting ready to throw it all away I thought my sister might be able to use it for her wood burning stove. Then, I realized they probably use some nasty chemicals in treating this wood. So, I've decided to throw it out. Is my thinking on the right track or am I over-reacting?

Reply to
Charlie S.

Anyone know if this is still true with the ne AC2 (arsenic-free) wood?

I'm assuming it is...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Reply to
A.D.C

You're right, should not be burned inside or out. Manufacturer instructions say dispose of properly and do not burn.

Reply to
PipeDown

Most newer PT wood is treated with copper and/or zinc salts, not as bad as arsenic but not good to breathe either. If any of the pieces are usable, try offering it on freecycle.org, save someone else some money and keep that crud out of the landfill.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

According to Charlie S. :

Assuming it's the old CCA, don't burn it. Amongst other things, burning it produces Arsine, an _extremely_ toxic gas.

Most places will accept moderate quantities in ordinary garbage.

The newer forms of PT are probably much less toxic, but you'd still not want to burn them in enclosed spaces anyway.

Reply to
Chris Lewis