Burned Out Light Bulbs

We have been in this house quit a while, and I recall always having this problem.

We go through light bulbs like water. It is not uncommon for a light bulb to last two or three weeks before I have to replace it again.

The bulbs always burn out right when the light switch is turned on. I turn on the light switch, the light goes on for an instant, then burns out. The bulbs don't ever burn out when the light has been on for a while.

So, I really feel like there is something not right about the electricity in the house, as strange as that sounds.

Any ideas?

-----+----->>>>joe Obrin | +----->>>> snipped-for-privacy@io.com | +----->>>>

joeobrin

Subject: Re: Burned Out Light Bulbs Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Unknown I am not an electrician, but maybe check to make sure you are using the

WOW!!

What a great idea.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I had this happening in the Condominium that I used to live in until about a year ago. It happens to some extent in my new house as well. I didn't have it quite that bad, but we did go through a lot of bulbs. I remember once saying something like that about "electrical system probaby not quite right" and he asked if the lights that burned out were on a ceiling that had a floor above it. I said yes. He said it's likely that the vibrations from walking above might be jarring the filaments in the bulb, causing them to fail prematurely. Sounds reasonable, but is it the problem? I can't say. Hope this helps some.

Danny

snipped-for-privacy@io.com wrote:

Reply to
Danny

I had the same problem with a house I purchased a couple of years ago. Turned out that there was a problem with the transformer at the street, and I was getting serious over-voltage.

Check your outlets with a multi-meter. I think I was getting 135-140v on

110 v circuits.

Once this was discovered, the utility company jumped through hoops to correct the problem.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I am not an electrician, but maybe check to make sure you are using the right size watts and bulb type for the outlet.

Reply to
Unknown

I had this problem, although not quite as bad as you and it was only in one room.

When I replaced the ceiling light fixture the problem went away.

Lewis.

******

snipped-for-privacy@io.com wrote:

Reply to
limeylew

I had the same problems a few years ago. Had power company to come out and put a recording volt meter on line. Found no problems. Changed to higher quality bulbs.. problem solved. Some charities used to sell great "lifetime" bulbs as a fund raiser.. They weren't lifetime.. but lasted longer than what you get in grocery store.

note.. Having power company record incoming voltage won't show a problem you may be having with your wiring inside of house .. such as broken neutral line..

Reply to
Chuck

That's very possible. The most likely cause is that the voltage is too high in your house and that has given you shortened life on the bulbs.

The question is what is causing this? The first thing you need to do is get an accurate voltmeter. If you don't own one see if you can borrow one from a neighbor. Measure the voltage at a few outlets around your house. Repeat the measurements at various times of day. You should be measuring no more than 125 volts (Assuming you are in North America). Two quick possibilities...

  1. If you get really weird High and Low readlings, such as 130+ volts on some outlets and perhaps 100 or less volts on others, you most likely have a loose or broken neutral problem. This is something that a professional electrician will need to fix. This is a serious problem and a fire hazard so you don't want to delay calling for professional help.
  2. If every outlet reads a high voltage, say >130 volts, then most likely the problem is with your power company, specifically, with the power company's transformer serving your house. They should fix this for free.

Perhaps the quickest way to determine the cause of the problem is to call the power company first. They should send out a technician to determine if the problem is yours or theirs and most will not charge you for the visit.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

After all other solutions fail - if they do - replace your light switches with dimmer switches. "Turning up" the light may provide enough time for the device to handle the surge. Also, running at 90% should lengthen the bulb's life.

Reply to
JerryMouse

If after investigating you find that everything is up to snuff with the home's wiring, but the incoming voltage is on the high side, but not so high that your utility will do anything about it, there are a few things you can do:

  1. Buy 130 volt bulbs. They are available through electrical supply houses. You'll find they will last a LOT longer. They cost quite a bit more than commonly available bulbs, and you won't get as many lumens of light per watt consumed, but every convenience has its price.
  2. You can buy thermistor "soft start" devices which go in the socket under the bulb base and effectively eliminate the turn on current surge.
  3. As others have suggested you can install solid state lamp dimmers and remember to turn the lights on by bringing the dimmer up from zero. That'll eliminate the turn on surge too.
  4. I got annoyed at the frequency with which I'd notice one of the eight "vanity" bulbs in our master bath burned out. Ten years ago I installed a dimmer in that circuit and hid it in a box above the top of a medicine cabinet. I set it slightly down from full on, and I don't think I've had to replace more than a couple of those vanity bulbs since I did that. Plus, the light is just a bit softer and redder, which helps us to accept our morning mugs in the mirror.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Commercial Electric compact fluorescent light that sells for $5 each claims to have a lifespan of about 7-years. I keep burning out my $0.17 bulbs far too many times (around three weeks on a 126VAC.) Mostly right after the switch is flipped on. I now use the $0.17 bulbs only on dimmable reading lamps.

Like most fluorescent lights, the compact fluorescent bulbs won't burn out within the 7-years period but would usually slowly deteriorate in its luminosity.

The Commercial Electric compact fluorescent lights are very slow to brighten compared to incandescent. I recently had four of them installed. Each had a light output equal to a typical 56-watts bulb within in 20- seconds (they claim 60-watts.) Since each consumes only 17-watts of energy I now have three bulbs per bedroom and not have to worry about a ladder for four or five years.

Reply to
Tim Zimmerman

Use a better quality light bulb.

Reply to
kato

Others have already mentioned to check the voltage. I had this problem a couple of years ago. Early in the morning, the electric company increases the output to be ready for all the industrial startups between 6 and 7 AM. I was getting readings of 142 volts in the AM, but it would be normal the rest of the day. My point is to check the voltage a few times during the day to be sure it is not just certain times. The power company was able to fix my problem by repairing their equipment.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had the same problem.

Solution: Have your electrician put a whole house surge suppressor on immediately after your meter. My file serve kept a log of incoming line voltage - very dirty inspite of what power company said. Peak volts varied from 94 - 160. The suppressor clamped them at a peak of 129 v. Light bulbs last a long time.

Goodluck

Reply to
Evon

Yeah, and sometimes when they burn out you'll get a "tungsten arc" effect where an arc starts burning between the broken filament ends and keeps melting back along the two filament pieces until it is arcing directly between the filament connecting leads. That arc can be a low enough resistance to cause a fuse to pop or a breaker to snap.

When you get a "tungsten arc" it usually occurs just as you switch on the bulb and you may notice a brief brighter than normal flash of light, it's all over in a moment.

Some light bulbs are/were made with a "fuse link" built into one of the leads intended to blow under those arcing conditions to avoid your having to reset a breaker or replace a fuse.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Bulbs burn out when you first turn them because the cold filament allows more juice to flow. As others suggested it sounds like voltage is too high.

LB

Reply to
LB

Bulbs burn out when you first turn them because the cold filament allows more juice to flow. As others suggested it sounds like voltage is too high.

LB

Reply to
LB

Jeff Wisnia wrote in news:U7ydnRY6TupGTY3fRVn- snipped-for-privacy@conversent.net:

HD and Lowes also sell them,as "contractor" bulbs,in large packs,24 or more bulbs.One of those two -used- to sell them in smaller,more practical packs(for me),but I haven't been able to find them lately. I prefer to use the 130v bulbs.

I had a 130V 100W bulb last for 14 years in the globe in my dining room,and it was on a dimmer,but I turned it on and off normally but not dimming to 'out',but at about a 85 % level.

Ordinary incandescent bulb filaments gradually erode and become thinner,and finally,the turn out surge is what kills them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

s/b 117 VAC RMS, no?

Reply to
John B

Your point is well-taken, but I never had a circuit breaker trip due to a light bulb failure. Never heard of fusable link in a light bulb. "Jeff Wisnia"

Reply to
John B