bullet hole in siding

Except that it accomplished nothing and the records *ARE* kept.

Basically, SWMBO doesn't like my guns. They're "too big" (except the Buckmark). The only range around is over in GA, a day trip so I'd like to get a gun she's comfortable with. She liked the feel of the PPK and the grip on the /S is long enough to fit my hand, as well.

Reply to
krw

I lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for about seven years. In that time, I married a Cajun girl, had one child there, with the whole typical Cajun family tree, complete with a few who spoke no English. I got to speaking it and understanding it. I wish I had spent more time on it, and did it better.

There's a dialect and accent particular to Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. Pronounced Bro Bridge by Yankees and Br Briddddddddddje by people of the area. Br said real fast and short, and Briddddddddddddje drawn out pausing on the id.

I was in a Las Vegas restaurant after we moved back. I could tell that the four ladies in the next booth were from Breaux Bridge. When we met at the buffet line, I said, "Wheh in Br Bridddddddddddddddje ye from, cha?" She reeled. "How you know ah from Br Briddddddddddddddddje?, she asked. "Yo axxxxennnnt,", ah said. We went back to the table, and my wife talked to them in French, and we had le bon ton.

I loved Louisiana except for the humidity and skeeters. And around there, people would recognize others by accents from different parts of the state. But I really think the term "Lafayette, heart of Acadiana" was correct.

Nothing like stopping by any mom and pops store for some fresh hot boudin and cracklins and a cold one.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Well, What they speak down there and modern French have a common ancestor, I'll go that far. But if you dropped somebody from Quebec down there, they would likely be as lost as an English-only speaker is. I own a house just down the road in Lake Charles, and have been in Lafayette several times, so I have some familiarity with the area.

I only visit in December, to avoid the worst of that. Place is too flat for a southern Indiana boy like me, though- it just feels wrong, especially the grass. And around there,

Plenty of the Coon-Ass license plates and storefronts selling boudin over in LC as well.

Reply to
aemeijers

I went to Louisiana some years back with a fellow to look at some generators in the hull of a ship being salvaged and met a few real Cajuns. Those guys had a really thick Cajun accent and we went to the local waterfront bar to eat some boiled crawdads and taters that were dumped on the table by the bucket full. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Regarding felons and the insane being prohibited from owning guns, that may be painting with too broad a brush. Does a person lose the right of self-defense because he cheated on his income tax? Or someone diagnosed with Coulrophobia be at the mercy of those who would do them ill?

On the other hand, if prohibiting guns to felons is primarily an additional sanction for their rascally behavior (like a bar to voting and practicing many professions), then I'm for it.

I don't think so...

Reply to
HeyBub

2nd Annual Cajun CoonAss Crawfish Boil

Oren

Janet Reno tried to keep the NICS records. She was bitch-slapped. By law, all NICS records must be destroyed within 24 hours. Remember, the NICS record does not say whether you bought a gun, only that you are eligible (or ineligible) to own one.

A record of a firearm sale IS kept at the gun store or pawn shop or wherever. The feds do not get a copy. To subvert the system, never buy a new gun from a gun shop - too easy to trace. Get your gun from an individual or pawn shop.

Of course in those states where every change in ownership of a firearm has to be reported to the state, you have a harder time keeping below the radar.

Tell her "size matters!" and, like in other endeavors, she'll just have to lie back and think of England.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you ever visit Florida: They dump them on the butcher block table. Just crabs... and a couple of mallets.

I Got MY Crabs At Dirty Nellie's

Reply to
Oren

Giggle.

Of the 13,000 articles including "NEJM+anti-gun" one can find ample documentation for my - and my fellow enthuasists - claim I made. For example:

"Medical journals are not always the objective, purely scientific publications we might think that they are. Their editors have increasingly strayed into politics at the expense of scientific accuracy. For example, the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine has over the last few months published a number of extremely biased and poorly done studies on gun control."

The author of THIS article, John Lott, surveyed the crime statistics of all

3050 counties in the U.S. over several decades. His survey, believe me, has been "peer reviewed." While several reviewers disagreed with his methodology, none can dispute the conclusions based on the raw data.
Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, and...

Those records are open to the feds anytime they want to peek. Also note that if the owner gives up his FFL those records are turned over to BATF. ...and they proceed to digitize them, forever to be used by the feds. You know, like your medical records are private, except...

Or where the FFL license transfers...

She's not looking for protection. She's long past even the hot flashes. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It should be noted that Lott started out on the other side of the controversy but had the intelligence to change his mind when confronted with the evidence. If only AGW loons could do the same, but there's more money in "climate change".

Reply to
krw

MawMaw and PawPaw lived in Sulphur, and my MIL grew up there. We went there many times to visit. Went to visit Nonk (Uncle) Daley (pronounced Dah-leeeee) in beautiful picturesque Holly Beach. Drove through there a million times running to and from the oilfields. Good crabbing all along there, and great fishing and duck hunting in the Sabine Refuge.

Heard many tales from people who went up to Canada to visit actual relatives that ended up in Canada during the migration, rather than South Louisiana, and heard lots of stories on them getting together and trying to communicate.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

You got the full Monty. Getting in on a real Cajun crawdad cook is a treat. Sometimes in those bars, you can get oysters in season for a dime to a quarter apiece.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Eating crabs that have not been cleaned prior to cooking is like eating fish without them being scaled or gutted.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

I'm in Walmart in Lafayette. A middle aged couple are shopping. Man is going to leave cart unattended.

man:

Hunnnnnney, watsh da caht.

woman:

Mais (may) cha (sha), what it's goan doo?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

I'd not lose a lot of sleep about old paper records sent off to Washington. It ain't like TV- they don't have a giant computer in the sky with digital images of every form ever signed, and meta-data keys so they can string-search a name or serial number, and have an image of a current drivers license in seconds. Mostly, they can't find their ass with both hands. Between the poor quality of the paper originals, and the indifferent proof-reading of the clerk doing the digitizing, putting paper records into a computer is a slow, expensive, and less than 100% accurate process. I doubt it is anywhere near the top of BATF's budget priority list. Unless there is an active complaint being worked, how often to they even make it to the stores for a cursory inspection? The records sent to DC when a store closes are likely entombed in a warehouse.

Reply to
aemeijers

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ibjbu1 $po3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

My mother didn't speak French or English, but would really try to follow a discussion in either language. Sometimes would be really good, sometimes not. Hilariously at times. I loved her dearly, and miss her.

Reply to
Han

I guess since we shouldn't trust doctors to count the numbers of people who showed up at the hospital (or morgue) with gunshot wounds, we should trust an economist to do it. No slight on economists in general - I love the Planet Money team at NPR. Mr Lott has published in peer reviewed journals, but this work was not published there, it was published in a book, reviewed chiefly by his editor. Despite his claims of bias in the medical journals, I'd be much more likely to but my trust there, than in his book, a source that is at best reviewed by some good old boys at the Remington corporation.

Right or wrong (and I 'm suspecting the latter), his assertion that allowing concealed gun carrying decreases crime rate does not contradict the statistics on accidental gun injuries Vs. prevented gun violence, which still means that you and your family and acquaintances are on average safer if you do not get a gun for self defense.

Of those 13000 articles, I'm sure you can find some evidence of bias in some of them. But bias or no, I'm much more sure you will find accurate information and justified conclusions in the vast majority of those peer-reviewed articles than you will in a book whose intended audience and source of income is the gun community.

-J

Reminds me of a co-worker from Bologna who had problems distinguishing between the words "hassle" and "asshole" with some pretty hilarious results.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"Robert Green" wrote in news:ibkcmu$4as$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

i know some Spanish ladies who always pronounced sheet as shit. Nice coworkers (platelet reactivity) as they were, that pronunciation led them to avoid asking for a sheet of paper.

Reply to
Han