bullet hole in siding

You think your kids told you about everything they played with when they were over at their friend's houses? Yeah, right. You teach kids about guns, for the same reason you teach them to look both ways when crossing the street, why not to stick metal things in outlets, and how to act around dogs they don't know. You can't be with them 24/7. Good, bad , or indifferent, guns are a part of our society, and some basic level of knowledge about them is nothing more than self-protection, even if you never do see or touch one.

Reply to
aemeijers

On which planet do you reside, Quark?

BWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA

Oren will vouch for me on this.

In Las Vegas, Howard Hughes bought huge tracts northwest of town, intending to make golf course retirement communities, high end properties, condos, shopping centers, all high end.

Which is exactly what he and Del Webb corporation did. People started moving in to these properties, thinking that they would be safe in these havens behind fences and guard shacks, but in some cases with the nice houses, but not the really high end stuff, they were just houses on the streets. 2 out of three people paid cash, indicating a upper clientele.

Soon, people would leave their garage door open during the day, thinking they're in this snitzy neighborhood way away from the real 'hoods. People would stop by like it was blue light special time at K Mart and pick the best stuff in the garage. Then there were the daylight burglaries when people were at work. The hot prowls with people sleeping. Then brutal home invasions with people viciously assaulted, tortured, and yes, murdered. The not so secure security gates where you just sit there and follow a car through, and you can be driving a moving van, and you go in and clean out a whole condo.

The people were howling to the City Council and County Commissioners saying that the reason they moved to Snitzy Heights was to get away from the crime, and lo and behold, it followed them. They looked like fools on television, doing their bwahaahaa bawling interviews about how the city and county needed to do their jobs and protect them, and ain't it awful. I guess they were like you, thinking that if you live in a nice neighborhood, and have money, the bad guys will magically stay away. John Dillinger was asked why he robbed banks. "It's where they keep the money," was his response.

If you think that neighborhoods and security measures can protect you, think again. Steve Wynn, one of the richest men in the world, with a compound second only to Fort Knox, had men come in and kidnap his daughter. Layer upon layer of security. Luckily it all worked out for the best.

There's no place on this planet, Quark, that is safe. Not even 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I guess it's different on your planet.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

"Jim Yanik" wrote

kudos

Reply to
Steve B

It is true that most shootings involve someone known to the victim. Almost always the person "known" to the victim is a member of a rival gang, a drug-crazed common-law spouse, a hip-hop star in a bar, or similar.

That said, your statement "you're more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder" is demonstrably wrong. My family members are not members of a rival gang or 'roided up primates.

Guns are like fire extinguishers and children should be taught to operate them properly.

Reply to
HeyBub

You've never seen a gun so they couldn't possibly exist, right? I've never seen an illegal gun in the US, either, but I'm quite sure they're all about. I didn't say you lied about having seen a gun, BTW. You should take a remedial reading course.

None of my friends...

I see you're up to your usual standards for an argument.

More clueless arguments.

No one has *ever* been killed with a gun in the UK. Ever. Right?

...and no one has ever said Europeons were racist, either.

Clueless.

Sure you do. That's why you're here showing the world how stupid you are.

Reply to
krw

Personal experience or anecdotal tales are poor reasons for oppressing others.

Reply to
HeyBub

Guesses added with grizzly "facts" in an attempt to invoke horror. It could have been a suicide, too. It worst, it was Darwin catching up to him.

No, parents should teach children respect for all dangerous situations.

Reply to
krw

It isn't anywhere. It's just that you expect others to pay for yours.

Don't look in a mirror.

Reply to
krw

I lived in Summerlin for 10 and finally moved after I "quit" working. Now I live in a single story home. Surrounded by other LEOs.

That quote was wrongfully attributed to Willie Sutton (Snopes), the

11th person on the FBI Most Wanted list. [Willie]"Sutton was an accomplished bank robber. He usually carried a pistol or a Thompson submachine gun. "You can't rob a bank on charm and personality," he once observed. In an interview in the Reader's Digest published shortly before his death, Sutton was asked if the guns that he used in robberies were loaded. He responded that he never carried a loaded gun because somebody might get hurt. He stole from the rich and kept it, though public opinion later turned him into a perverse type of Robin Hood figure. He allegedly never robbed a bank when a woman screamed or a baby cried." (Wiki)
Reply to
Oren

I donno. Like I said I was raised around guns but I almost shot my friend's head off in the 5th grade. Kids are kids. They make mistakes. Guns need to be kept away from children. Just like we don't let kids drive cars.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

agreed kids shouldnt have unsupervised access to firearms.

if they somehow do the gun owner needs jail time.

which will help prevent future shootings

Reply to
hallerb

You would be put in jail in the UK for putting up such a poster or having one in your shop window.

==

There are quite a few backward shit holes in the US.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Those holes belong to and are full of Liberal Democrats. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Agreed. That's why politicians hold up some poor, named, soul as an exemplar to support or decry proposed legislation.

Still, the legal maxim "bad cases make bad law" is a fundamental truth.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh, bother!

Guns have purposes other than killing: Sport, such as target shooting (it's even an Olympic event), collecting, investment, historical artifact, deterrence, and others.

Even if the ONLY purpose for guns was killing, does anyone have a problem with that? I can see how SOME killings are regrettable, but in general?

But, of course, I hold with the notion that there are people who NEED killing.

Reply to
HeyBub

You forgot the most obvious one, hunting. There's plenty of people in the USA who fulfill their dietary requirements for meat by hunting it themselves. This is something that people who've lived in cities or suburbs their entire lives seem to be simply unable to understand.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It's odd how you can know things that you have no experience with whatsoever.

I will go as far as to say that the NRA has become somewhat shrill and over the top in recent years, but for as long as I can remember, they have never advocated anything other than *responsible* firearm ownership and use. The shrillness and over-the-topness might simply be a reaction to the increasingly large numbers of people who'd love nothing more than to take away a Constitutional right simply because

*they* are afraid of firearms, never having been exposed to them or resposible use thereof. My grandfather was an avid hunter and NRA member for most of his life. If people like you had your way he would have had a much harder time feeding his family and would have also taken from him an activity that gave him much enjoyment over the years. Not to mention greatly increasing the risk of your hitting a deer with your car - they breed prolifically when their numbers aren't kept in check.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You're absolutely right, of course. I took Harry's lament about guns used for killing to include animals, so I omitted hunting.

Just supposing, Harry's probably a vegetarian. According to the Bible, humans began as vegetarians and it was only Noah and his decendents that got permission to eat meat. Now Adam & Eve started out in trouble and, by the time we get to Noah, the world became so hopelessly corrupt, wicked, and depraved that God had to destroy it and start over.

If it is true, then, that vegetarianism leads to debauchery and debasement, then Harry may well be an example.

Reply to
HeyBub

"N8N" wrote

You forgot the most obvious one, hunting. There's plenty of people in the USA who fulfill their dietary requirements for meat by hunting it themselves. This is something that people who've lived in cities or suburbs their entire lives seem to be simply unable to understand.

nate

The only reason you and I and all these vegan yuppies are here is because our ancestors were murderous bloodthirsty savages who ate anything they could catch or bash in the head with a rock or stab or eviscerate.

It pains me to listen to all this drivel from antihunting groups and bleeding hearts that essentially dis their ancestors creativity in keeping the gene pool flowing until at least this yuppie vegan is the end product. And hopefully, as the number of gays and nonreproducing adults increase, this branch of evolution will eventually fall off.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

"Huh? Why do you need a gun to protect yourself in your own home? Why can't you use a baseball bat, iron pipe, 2x 4.

Kill 'em with a baseball bat, iron pipe, 2 x 4? Is that better than with a gun?

Never bring a pipe to a gunfight.

Reply to
Thomas