Building Stares...

Ok my building isn't staring at me. But I bet more people will click on this with my misspelled title than if I said 'building stairs'..??

Anyway. I have a drop off in the rear of my property that I'd like to build steps down to. I'd like to build a small stairway to it. But I have no idea how to build a stringer (?) to attach stairs to. I could figure out how to anchor them and attache the steps but the whole right angle thing with the square thing..?? I'm lost...

I have to some how lay the stringers against the slope and cut in right angles ??? That's a guess from observing over the years. And how far aparts should the steps be and what is the rise and run formula if any (or is that reserved for roofs?)...

I guess I could cut 2 4x4 x 8's in half and sink them for every step and tie it all together with a common railing of some sort. That just seems more expensive.

TIA Charles

Reply to
in2-dadark

See if this website can help you:

Grandpa

Thanks. I saved that. That's about as good as it gets...'>) CP

Reply to
in2-dadark

Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And my computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks

Reply to
in2-dadark

buy pre cut stringers at a building center.

you will have to accept the slope they carry but it might be right for you

Reply to
hallerb

Re: Building Stares... Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Jun 17, 2007, 11:20pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com On Jun 17, 6:16?pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And my computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks buy pre cut stringers at a building center. you will have to accept the slope they carry but it might be right for you

Thanks ..I'll look for it. May be I can make it work..

Reply to
in2-dadark

Go to your local library and check out a 'how to' book on basic house framing. Most of them will give very detailed instructions on the procedure.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

A lot of work for something that will rot away quickly. You need stone or concrete steps for an application like that. If you have heart set on wood, it should be atop concrete piers. Find a DIY book on 'porches and decks'- it will tell all you need to know. This is basically a deck or patio, just not attached to the house.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers