Building a greenhouse window?

I've seen them online at $1,000. I don't want one that bad but I would like to try and build one.

I'm in the process of replacing windows and I have one on the 1st floor on the south side that I would like to make into a little greenhouse window. Maybe 18" deep, the current opening is about 41' wide by 53" high. Glass sides, glass front, sloping glass top, wooden base, a glass shelf...

I thought I would buy the glass and build the frame myself . this window is only a foot off the ground so I could easily support the weight if needed.

The wife has been showing an interest in gardening and I thought this would be a nice place to work on plantings during the winter months.

Has anyone seen plans or done this themselves?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

I built some replacement windows for the old cabin on my place. You need some decent woodworking skills, advanced beginner I would say. I used a circular saw to cut the pieces for the frame. I then used dowels to glue it up solid. then a router to cut the L-shaped rabbet on the inside of the frame to accept the glass. Then I used stock moulding to cover the edge, mitred. I painted the frame and moulding before assembly. It's easy if you have some old windows, just copy. At the least you need a saw and a doweling jig. A router and a wood chisel will be useful too. Paint them well and they will last.

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
buffalobill

Start with a three-sided aquarium. You can find them next to apartment house dumpsters.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you're replacing your windows, have the installers leave the old ones. then you can just nail up the take-out sashes into a box.

Reply to
Goedjn