Builder put window in wrong place

That isn't necessarily so, depending on the contractual arrangement. It does have to be revealed but often, unfortunately, the client doesn't pay sufficient attention to such "minor" details and many are, also unfortunately, more than happy to gloss over such delicacies... :(

Reply to
dpb

Thank for all your comments. I called My realtor this morning, she went out to the house and she thought the uncentered window "wasn't that bad" and something "she would have never noticed." I insisted she call the builder or the builder's agent and she did and got back with me in an hour. Apparently the builder went out to the site and says he is "quite embarrased" that he didn't catch the error himselft. He said he would fix it ASAP.

I am a little bothered by how my realtor felt that it wasn't a big enough deal to warrant attention, but one I told her I didn't care what she thought that I wanted it fixed she took care of it.

My husband and I have decided to drive to the house this weekend to see the house and make sure no other issues are hidden.

Thanks again.

Reply to
kris3432

I made it necessary in past cases.

Someone told me recently they attended "office training" and the Broker told the class to "stop lying to clients".

I have a nickel to say the buyer and buyer agent likely have a long term contract.

They still will do a walk through wanting the buyer to gloss over things like a wrongly placed window.

-- Oren

Oren

On May 1, 2:02 pm, Oren wrote: ...

If you meant to type "builder and buyer's agent" then I'm in full agreement it is almost certainly true there is, at least, some arrangement by which the buyer's agent gets some compensation from the builder/builder's agent.

Reply to
dpb

Maybe the builder isn't such a scum after all... :) Probably most unfortunate you couldn't have dealt with him directly all along--but, if he's a large operator, I can understand how he would prefer to only deal w/ one or a few rather than every individual.

OTOH, sounds like your agent is incompetent at best, duplicitous or in (or trying to get in) cahoots w/ the builder (or more likely, the builder's agent) at worst. Might be worth checking on the actual details of the contract you have w/ him/her to see what it says about source(s) of compensation and representation and conflict of interest. If, indeed, it implies or states that she/he is indeed, only on your nickel supposedly, I'd start documenting these things fully and it might become worthy of a letter to your state board.

And, I'll repeat...you _do_ have counsel waiting in the wings, right?

Reply to
dpb

It really isn't complicated.

Your agent lacks taste.

I think and this is just me; if the builder humbled-up and corrects things early - ask that both realtors miss the walk around of the home with the builder.

-- Oren

Oren

What I meant was the buyer has her agent.

(How long is that contract?).

-- Oren

Oren

I don't understand what that means with that combination of words in sequence...

I think there's an above- (or maybe below-) board relationship between the two agents that isn't fully obvious to the buyer. OP already stated there are two agents involved, one obviously representing the builder, the other purportedly representing the buyer -- what isn't clear is the arrangement between the two, if any.

Reply to
dpb

I don't think. I can spot a salesman, The builder saves by not needing a Realtor. I win by avoiding both.

-- Oren

Oren

I used to date a divorced girl who had, with her husband, had a home built. They would go almost every day after work to look at the house.

The builders did a lot of things wrong and he always wanted it done right, while she for some reason never cared**.

The two that he mentioned when I met him included one like yours. They put a door in so it swung the wrong way. Into the powder room, so once you entered, you couldn't shut the door behind you and you couldn't get to the sink or the toilet, I forget which.

Also, they started putting in the baseboards in the hall before the tile was finished. So the baseboard was correct where the tile had been installed, and it was too low where there was no tile yet. The thickness of the tile and the adhesive.

The husband figued that the model they looked at at the entrance to the street was built by good builders, and the other homes were built by anyone they could find. This was a 20 lot street with several sample blueprints that could be modified, like making the dining room smaller and the kitchen bigger.

**She thinks the house is what ruined their marriage, but knowing her, I think she was the problem. Maybe he was too, but not the house.
Reply to
mm

I said that moving a window is no big deal, particularly in new construction, or in a 100 year old house for that matter. That's insane to tell this gentlemen that anyone who thinks its no big deal to move a window is an idiot. It happens countless times and any contractor with half a brain and a couple of tools can do it. A smuck and a duck can do it. What kind of contractor or builders do you know...the lazy bastard types that are just looking for the money. We can turn a 1200 sq. ft. cape home into Graceland in 1 week, but we can't move an existing window...gimme a friggin break man. Kris, if you want the window moved, it can be moved by any qualified contractor.

Reply to
fishcakes

Just a funny follow-up to myself. The first time I wrote my two choices above, they came out like this: "It's nothing you should be bothered about so why are you bothering us?" OR "It's no bother for us to fix it, so don't let it bother you."

I couldn't tell what either of them meant, nor could anyone else, especially the first one, so I had to add a few words to each of them. If I hadn't been correcting your lack of clarity, I might not have noticed my own.

Reply to
mm

I tend to use the term "agent" and "Realtor" to mean the same sometimes, and maybe I shouldn't.

I bought a home from a builder in '95 using a Realtor. We visited the models and sales office. The builder used commissioned sales "agents" and not real estate agents.

From the point of view from the builder; my Realtor, might be referred to as the "buyers agent".

I don't know why a builder would use a Realtor vs Sales Office.

Did I confuse us enough?

-- Oren

Oren