Broken drill bits embedded ...

Ditto. If in doubt, burn it out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

If you don't care too much what it looks like, it might just be easiest to pound the bits in a ways with a punch and work around them (being careful not to break any more).

Heating sounds like a good idea, but if they're broken flush or below, that might be tough given the size.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

This may well be hopeless.

Years ago I built a woodworkers mallet from oak with some lead wool for mass. Worked fine for years, cracked a glue joint some weeks ago.

So I'm gonna just drill some holes thru the head and insert a couple screws/nuts to hold the head together better. Attempt a pilot hole with a 1/16" bit going thru about 2" of oak, etc. Drill bit freezes, slips in chuck, won't come out. I kinda doubt it's the lead wool thats holding it.

Tried a second pilot hole with a 3/32" bit. Same thing.

I tried using pliers, vise, etc to extract frozen bits. Nothin' shakin'. Eventually they break off.

I could jerry-rig something to drill around the embedded bits, but I'd rather extract 'em.

Anybody know a good trick for such?

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Heat.

I once had to replace a 1/2" chain plate bolt that was through the stem of my sailboat. Wouldn't budge no way, no how even with a sledge. Heating it with a propane torch freed it up. Heat your little suckers red hot and they'll come out even if you have to char the hole they are in slightly.

Alternatively, you might try sticking the mallet in a freezer for a while.

Reply to
dadiOH

Set fire to mallet, retrieve bits from resulting ashes? ;)

Seriously, though... If they're broken flush with the mallet face, urgh. You could chisel some wood out around them to expose enough end to get a grip on, I suppose. Then heat them (as someone said), then tap the exposed ends with a hammer a few times to try to loosen things up a bit more, then get some pliers on the ends and try to twist them out.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Smitty covered this...

Reply to
Bob Villa

Drill yo Mama. And Granma, too. :-)

I did. As much as practical.

Drill press had no reverse.

Turns out the damned thing is full of hardened epoxy. I didn't realize it was that resistant to a small drill bit.

Will

Puddin' Man