my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace
runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks &
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.
ideas? I have never seen such a thing.
Candles are major air pollutants. The residue from burning candles
create allergy reactions in many and are very likely carcinogenic.
The soot you found is just one of many problems.
If its an electric forced hot air, it cant make CO. No
combustion going on.
Only gas or oil can create carbon monoxide.
(what what anyone mention coal or wood???LOL)
Tell your wife to stop playing with fire and get the
damn candles out of the house before she burns
the place down to the ground!
It COULD be from the candles. I had a customer that called about the same
thing, and swore it had to be the furnace...
Well..they had a heat pump, and there was no way it was from there...looked
around and the wife had about 100 candles she burned..all with high wicks.
Now..if its happening only when you run the furnace, then its a good idea to
get a tech out, and allow them to check to see if you have a problem
particularly if its an oil burning unit...gas can do the same thing, but not
as bad normally. the only way you are going to be getting this like you
describe would be with a severely cracked heat exchanger, and this needs to
be checked for, and possibly repaired NOW.
If its from the candles...and that bad, you are still going to need now to
get the furnace and AC coils serviced..its nasty stuff in large amounts like
you are describing.
an electric furnace does not EMIT Carbon Monoxide (CO), unless
something containing carbon falls on the heat strips and gets burned.
Or did you really mean OMIT as that could mean that it blocks CO, which
really isn't true either, becvause if CO is already in the air, it will
pass through the electric furnace just fine.
Depends on what you mean is electric. If just the fan is electric and the
heat comes from gas or oil then you could get CO. But if you also have an
electric heat pump or electric coils then no CO. Do you pay a gas or
propane bill or oil bill?
I have no idea what the fascination with polluting your house with candles
They make a nasty soot. Take a good look at the walls and ceiling where
they burn the most and you will see the black. It is ruining your
furniture, drapes, paint etc. A hot air furnace just helps to spread it out
better. What you see on the walls is in your lungs also.
Omit: To leave something out.
Electric furnaces may pump air, but they most certainly omit carbon
My father is an editor. I do make typos now and again. But for the most
part, I mean what I say, even if I don't say it mean. (Meanly?)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.