Bilco door (basement entry) paint - scratches

Hi. I just painted a basement entry door using Benjamin Moore's "IronClad" primer and topcoat. It is an alkyd enamel based paint. I sprayed it on with a siphon feed gun I have. It looks great, but it isn't very durable. I've waited about 4-5 days so far, but it still scratches easily with a fingernail. I was careful to prep the door by sanding it and cleaning it with compressed air and mineral spirits.

I was told that it might still take 6-8 weeks to be cured to the point where it won't scratch so easily. I just wanted to see if that sounds right, and if anyone here has any feedback about that particular brand of paint. I've recently read that DTM type paint (ie Rustoleum 5200) or even catalyzed urethane / two part polyurethane would provide a very tough finish, but they are more hazardous to work with. Would it be wise to apply a tough, clear top coat, like the automotive industry does? I do have a dual cartridge respirator, but I'm not sure whether those paints are still too nasty for a non-pro. Thanks.

Reply to
sp_mclaugh

Yes, some oil base products require up to two months to fully cure. Do not put any other type of finish over the new paint for now. I don't use Benny Moore, but my reasons are unrelated to performance. Did you thin the paint before spraying it? If you thinned it beyond its specifications, it may not cure properly or have the proper finish. The other factor is weather - did it get rained on or has it been getting cold at night? Temperature will affect curing.

Reply to
TakenEvent