Bigger electric power washers

Has anyone had any experiences with the larger electric power washers? I had a small 3.5 HP gas unit, which was pretty adequate for my home and deck cleaning chores. Now that it is history, I am toying with one of the 1800-2000 psi electric units, but I am a little afraid they will not perform. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

Reply to
Art Todesco

I had a Systema (sp?) brand. More or less the same as the bigger electric unit made by Karcher.

Worked ok for general cleaning, although slowly. Didn't last very long, they are cheaply made. Now have 6hp gas unit. Much faster and heavier duty.

If you're going to do big jobs like decks or siding or driveways, don't waste your time with the electrics unless you have *way* more time than money.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Most are designed around a 15a circuit which solely limits their power. A few are 20a -30a. which limits where they can be used.

1800-2000, what do they draw, do you have 20-30a avalaible outside?
Reply to
ransley

In news:nRIhk.16062$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com, Art Todesco spewed forth:

Go with gas. It's also my understanding that the GPM is just as important ,if not more than the PSI It doesn't matter if you have 2500psi if it's only doing 1.5gpm.

Reply to
ChairMan

on 7/23/2008 12:16 PM Art Todesco said the following:

I have a Husky 1650 electric power washer. It works for everything I need to do with a power washer. Clean decks, siding, concrete, asphalt, wood fencing, under the car, and have even used it on the engine in my PU. I have a 6 hp Generac 2250 gas power washer in my shed that has had a blown water pump for the last 5 or so years A new water pump will cost around $250, and I have been putting it off because the electric washer works for everything I need.

Reply to
willshak

I have a 5hp (240v 30a) It is as good or better than most homeowner gas machines.

2700 PSI at 2.5 GPM You do need a 30a 240v outlet but I have a dryer plug on it and most people have a dryer. Around my house I put in a few outlets in different places, all on ther same circuit so I can use it all around the house. It comes with a 35' cord and I made up a 25' extension cord. I have about 120' of hose (3 pieces with quick disconnects. With all of that they is really no place I can't go. The ability to just plug this in and spray makes it very handy. No stale gas, no engines that won't start and it is quiet.
Reply to
gfretwell

on 7/23/2008 1:29 PM ChairMan said the following:

My Husky1650 electric claims 1.6 GPM. My Generac 2250 gas claims 2.2 GPM. Sounds like the first two numbers in the model number is the GPM.

Reply to
willshak

I use a 1300 lb Karcher and have used alot of gas units. For home and light commercial my 1300 lb is fine. With gas you have the pain in the ass of a gas motor, and electric will be maybe 75% cheaper to run. Im hapy with what I have, more pressure would be nice, but it wouks and is light weight. There are 20 amp models at maybe sears.

Reply to
ransley

The power source, gas or electric has no bearing on how well the unit will perform. What is relevant is the power available and the quality of the unit. A 6hp electric (real, not inflated consumer numbers) will be just as powerful as a 6hp gas, presuming comparable pumps and quality.

As a point of reference, all the various food processing, meat packing, etc. plants use electric powered pressure washers daily for cleaning and sanitizing. The difference is that those are industrial grade units.

Reply to
Pete C.

I suspect you are going to run beyond what will run on 120V before you get what you want. I have not seen any 240V models.

I notice that your only talked about psi. That is a big mistake, especially in the lower (non-commerical) market. The manufacturers know most people only look at the psi, and they do all they can to show big psi numbers. However the gallons per minute is at least equally important.

I have a small electric washer. It does a good job. That is it cleans everything I would expect a power washer to clean. It is however slower than I would like. However that is a volume issue not a pressure issue. I need something that is going to throw more water at the same pressure, a lot more, to make me happy. I also know that any unit that will do that will be gas powered and will be big and heavy and will cost a lot. I am sticking with my little electric, at least until it dies.

Reply to
jmeehan

e quoted text -

Industrial yes, and what does a 6hp need in power, well its alot more than 15a maybe 90a?

Reply to
ransley

I had a Karcher electric, works well but lasted about 14 months with not much use. Wash my car about 7 times and the driveway and thats all she got before it came apart. Its junk with too much plastic on critical components and will leak in no time.

This was replaced with another Kracher gas with a Honda engine, more metal parts and better components but at 2-3X the cost of the electric.

Both electric and gas did a good job with the electric being slower.

Now have 6hp gas unit. Much faster and

Reply to
<Frank>

What is relevant is the power available and the quality of

6hp electric is not standard, 7.5hp would be the next standard size up. It would require 22 amps at 230 volts per NEC. Just the motor alone would cost about the same or more as the whole gas power washer unit.
Reply to
<Frank>

It was an example, not an exact number. Yes, a "real" electric pressure washer requires "real" power to operate. Yes a "real" electric pressure washer is an industrial grade unit and not cheap. That electric motor will of course outlast several gas engines or more.

Reply to
Pete C.

Actually my 5HP electric is more powerful than a 6HP gas, because of the inflation of engine ratings. They are rated WOT and still they probably lie. Most folks use a gas engine at about 75%

Reply to
gfretwell

This is basically the one I have but they are saying 3000 PSI now

Reply to
gfretwell

Electric motor ratings get fudged as well. They often rate them based on running them with the maximum voltage they are rated to withstand intermittantly. Most "3 hp" spa pumps are really about 1.75 HP under normal operation.

Reply to
salty

gfretwell

Trouble is you can&#39;t really get 6hp out of a 120v outlet. If I remember right, 746w =1hp.

Reply to
Chris Hill

You can get 5HP out of a dryer outlet and that is plenty for a 3000 PSI, 2.5 GPH pressure washer.

Reply to
gfretwell