Best wood for fence

I getting really too old for hard labor and this will be the last time I will be able to do the fence repair myself and as a senior on a fixed income it would be hard for me to pay someone in the future to do the work. What's the best wood for outdoor fences? It's shaded and damp at times. I have aluminum(sp) posts that are great but pressure treated rails and slats don't stand the test of time. Any suggestions? It's an area that needs to be fenced. I don't mind spending if it will last. Is there a man made product, a resin or plastic?

As well I am building a small green house. The plans call for pressure treated base area. I will be eating the tomatoes that grow. Is there a concern that the soil they grow in will be in contact with pressure treated wood?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. TY

Reply to
robson

I'm in Hawaii, a tough environment for fences. I use redwood boards on a borate treated frame. Lasts about 15-20 years and then I gradually piece in new material as needed.

Resins/plastics are also popular but who knows who they really hold up to decades worth of UV?

Reply to
John Keiser