Best toilet choice

I'm about todo a remodel in a bath with one of the old 5 gal flush toilets. This toilet's run is pretty long and takes several turns so it has always been a bit slow. I know that one of the pressurized tank models would work best but the noise would jack the person in the next bedroom right out of bed. Has anyone read anything on the most efficient, siphon flush toilet available?

Reply to
C & E

Yea I have a pressure assist and im sure all the neighbors know when it flushes its so loud. Consumer Reports online has a comparison test. But You will get used to the pressure assists noise , it doesn`t bother me at all anymore, it only took me 4 short years to get used to.

Reply to
m Ransley

The American Standard Champion was highest rated by an artical I read about a year ago. May I suggest the elongated version in the comfort (orthopedic) height? It runs $172-$247 at Home Depot, depending on color. The tank is extra.

Lowes sells them for even cheaper, starting at $141. The tank is $112 there.

Shop around. Google is your friend.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The American Standard Cadet is one that usually rates well and is not expensive. Consumer Reports magazine does test on the from time to time, you may want to stop at the library and check out their last review. Note: I just checked and AS is making a power assist Cadet as well now.

Look for two things. You will want a fully glazed trap. Regular traps are like sand paper and well things don't slide well on sand paper. Next look at the trap size; look for 2 inches or larger. A large flapper valve is also a plus.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In my experience in the "real world," regardless what CU says, are toilets from Toto. These are great toilets with excellent flushing capability. With experience with pressurized tanks toilets, the Toto outperforms them and is very quiet.

They're a bit hard to find, but well worth the effort.

Reply to
Don Allen

Here's a link to Toto's residential website. BTW . . . Toto is a Japanese company. I bought mine at a local plumbing supply house. Toto is the Lexus or Acura of toilets! I couldn't resist that, but my experience tends to support that analogy.

Don Allen

As someone else said, Consumer Reports tested toilets. They actually made artificial turds - pretty thorough! At

you can buy a short membership for something like $5 or $8 or something. Definitely do it, or find the article at your library.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

We just installed the Eljer mentioned in Consumer Reports, elongated and comfort height. Best flush I've experienced in 40 years. An American Standard Champion is going in the other bath only because my wife likes its styling better.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

I second that emotion. We got a Toto Drake model. It would flush a basketball. It also refills quickly and is quieter than the toilet it replaced.

Another source of info:

BCDrums

I would install a new 5 gallon flusher, or keep the old toilet.

Old ttoilets flushed great and werent noisey:) Fushing a watersaver toilet repeatedly uses MORE water than a single 5 gallon flush.

I heard they are legal again in the US

Reply to
hallerb

absolutely! we have these installed and they are UNPLUGGABLE!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

I second that second, especially the link. Read that website thoroughly. It's a goldmine of info.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

"I'm about todo a remodel in a bath with one of the old 5 gal flush toilets. This toilet's run is pretty long and takes several turns so it has always been a bit slow. I know that one of the pressurized tank models would work best but the noise would jack the person in the next bedroom right out of bed. Has anyone read anything on the most efficient, siphon flush toilet available?" ____________________________________ Re; I just installed an Amercian Standard "Champion" at my mom and dad's house 3 weeks ago because they were having trouble with clogging. They've reported no problems since. The tolilet claims to be able to handle two dozen golf balls in a single flush; for what that's worth. Good luck... Dan Akers

Reply to
D. Akers

Whatever you get, run an auger down the pipe while you have it off. Since you claim to have many bends in the pipe, you can proobably clear something out and improve the drainige without buying any particular toilet.

Reply to
PipeDown

If you'd really like to dig into the subject, take a look at this Canadian government study. It rated toilets by the weight (in grams) of, uh, stuff that it could move in a single flush.

The ratings start on page 17. More than you ever wanted to know!

Reply to
BCDrums

This is the article I'd read last year. That's where I got the idea that the American Standard Champion was a high performance toilet. Additionally, it's widely available at the local borg.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The newer Gerber pressure assisted are pretty darn quiet.

Reply to
Art

Change your diet!

Reply to
Mys Terry

"C & E" wrote in news:hoKdnbodxqm9QL7ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@innernet.net:

Google "flapperless toilet";my apt.complex replaced all it's toilets with this toilet,and it works great,uses the std. 1.6Gal/flush,and has no flapper to degrade and leak,and no complex pressurizing stuff. It's very simple,hasn't needed servicing in the 4 years I've had it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik