Best lubricant for outdoor padlock

This.

Reply to
Hawk

In my experience, graphite in a humid environment is a disaster. Yes, it lubricates well when dry, but then it becomes mud and then cakes and will absolutely jam a lock.

My preference would be STP, but just a tiny bit on a toothpick.

Reply to
TimR

Yup. When I first moved in here, the front door latch and lock were both very stiff to operate. I sprayed WD-40, and streams of black gook ran out of every place possible. I kept going until the black stopped showing. Everything works much better now.

Look up using pure lanolin as a lubricant-protectant.

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper

Naval jelly is probably the best to rub the lock over in.

Reply to
bruce bowser

I use graphite in an alcohol carrier on the lock on the boat ramp chain that gets dipped in salt water occasionally and rain may be the best thing that happens to it. It seems to just keep going. This isn't your ten buck Master Lock tho. I think we pay about $150 for them.

Reply to
gfretwell

This stuff is in a spray can with a tube that lets you really get it in a little hole.

This is just expensive because you can't get keys made for it anywhere. They are registered, signature only. This is not a regular key. It is flat with drilled holes in the side. (Mul T Lock NG series)

If someone cut the lock off and launched their boat, they might not have a truck when they got back. It gets pretty expensive retrieving them from the impound lot.

Reply to
gfretwell

That might get you shot here.

Reply to
gfretwell

It depends on the circumstances and what state you live in. Generally you have to demonstrate you were threatened but if you confront the person stealing your stuff and they threaten you ... bang.

Reply to
gfretwell