Best kitchen floor surfaces?

Terry Coombs wrote:

Yup and it too was a pain in the ass. When I was much younger the guy I worked for did 99% Solarian. He was good at it and I got to do all the seams, scribing and epoxying.....oh the fun we had : )

Looks just like Terrazo. Used a lot in institutional installations where the corners are water-tight and easy to keep clean.

Custom Solarian solid vinyl - what was installed in our kitchen and mainfloor bath - It's not Epoxy that is used - but a special vinyl cement that chemically "welds" the vinyl.
Strange story on ours - we "won" it at a home show - all we had to pay was the installation. They brought it in about 8am on a cold Ontario December day and started laying it. They were done well before noon (I was at work - wife was home). When I got home I found there were 2 corners where it was visibly cracked - due to the "installers" not knowing what they were doing and working it while still cold and stiff. I called and told them they had 2 options - and only 2. Eother come and rip it out and replace it properly, or forget about the installation fee. They decided it was a lot cheaper to forget the installation fee. I can live with 2 cracks about 1/2 inch long - particularly after I glued them - they hardly show even now 20 - some odd years later.

It was two part epoxy when I was installing it, mid 70s it did change in late 70's early 80s

On 2/10/2019 12:44 PM, Davej wrote:

I wanted hard wood when we built the house almost 10 years ago. However, we do have a large dog and hard wood was not recommended. So we put in laminate. It looks as good as when it was new. Yes there might be a ding here or there, but, it really doesn't show. The laminate even survived a situation when the fridge decided to turn itself off when we were on vacation. Water from the freezer did leak out and swell it a bit but after it dried the swelling now is almost invisible. In my previous house we had ceramic tile. If you dropped something glass on it, not only did the glass break, but the tile usually chipped.