best hot tub for the buck

Are you referring to a hydromassage bathtub that gets installed in your bathroom or a Jacuzzi style hot tub that sits out on patio or deck?

Reply to
John Grabowski

Hmmm, Nothing I like. Germ brewer, chemical soup, you want to soak in it? My neighborhood has hot tubs almost in every back yard. After initial excitement wears out, VERY, VERY seldom I see anyone using it. They just sit there with cover on. Hardly see anyone sitting in it. I don't have hot tub but I have a sauna I use at least 3-4 times a week.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I like the ones with nekked women in them. Otherwise, they seem to be a poor investment and little used after a few months.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

Reply to
Scott

If you really have your heart set on one, monitor Craig's List and your local ad paper for a few weeks, especially once house-selling season starts. As others have said, once the novelty wears off, they tend to get abandoned in place. 2-3 year old used ones for a couple hundred bucks are dirt common. (especially once the gas or electric bills start rolling in- those things are energy pigs.) Lots of people rip them out when selling, since they are a turnoff to many buyers, especially with small kids.

Saw the same syndrome with master bath whirlpool tubs 10-20 years ago- the concept is more appealing than the reality. PITA to maintain and keep clean.

Some things work a lot better in rent-by-the-hour places, or romantic weekend B'n'Bs. There you can enjoy the experience, and not worry about the upkeep.

Don't get me wrong- I love a good soak in a hot tub, but even if I didn't live alone (which just makes it pathetic), I could never mentally justify the expense. Once every couple of years on business trips, I'll end up in a hotel with one that doesn't look like an old teakettle.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Save the money. Build a shower outside and shower with the new bride outside.

If you have a medical need for such a hot tub, a doctor can write a prescription. A well documented letter from the MD is passed on to the tax man. You have to have a need for such a situation.

Reply to
Oren

I built my own. My recommendation, however if you want to buy one is to keep an eye on craigslist. Here in Seattle, they are frequently offered free by people tired of them or new homeowners.

Ozonators are nice - they signifacantly reduce the need for chlorine or bromine.

Jets and bubblers are highly overrated. I never use them. A quiet soak is much more relaxing.

Good insulation is definately worthwhile if you use it much.

Reply to
Bob F

I agree, I have seen the same thing here. I can't say about the sauna.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have had Hot Tubs since the early 1970's. The first one was a huge wine cask heated by a heat exchanger on a glassblower's furnaces. Today I have a modern Thermospas Hot Tub which is now about 10 years old. It requires very little maintenance, and gets used 2 or 3 times a week. My neighbors might think I don't use it very much, because

1) they can't really see it very well because of it's location and a privacy fence. 2) I tend to use it at night or very early in the morning.
Reply to
salty

I probably average using mine just less than twice a day. There is no better motivation to climb out of bed than a hot soak.

Reply to
Bob F