Bedroom without closet- options and alternatives?

I saw on home improvement show for small spaces to put up a closet bar along the short wall or else in the corner. You could put up crown molding or skip the molding. Then install a drapery to cover the area. Depending on how decoraty you are it can look quite nice.

Reply to
Marina

"Kyle" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

really old houses did not have closets;people used wardrobes,a big cabinet you hung your clothes in. Antique stores will have them. Back then,people did not have so many clothes as today.

(they didn't wash as often,either!)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

When we built our house a couple of years ago, we wanted to maximize the space in the two smaller (12x14) bedrooms by not building in closets.

One of the rooms is my home office, so I have a bookshelf, my desk and a bank of wall cabinets over the desk to store additional supplies. We also have a piano and a treadmill in the same room with plenty of room to spare.

The other bedroom is my daughters room, and I built a pair of armoires to sit on each side of her window. The one on the left holds her games, toy's, and other similar items. I have a divider in the one on the right, giving a rod to hang long clothes, and two rods to hold shorter clothes. In the area between the two armoires I built a window seat with four drawers underneath to store socks, underwear, and that sort of thing. She even displays her dolls and stuffed animals on top of the armoires. This gives her much more storage than a closet and dresser would have, and takes up very little space in the room. They're basically just cabinets, and any cabinetmaker should be able to build armoires to fit the space. I would recommend doing as we did and make the shelves, closet rods, and center divider removable. You never know what you'll want to do with the room in the future. Once my daughter moves out, I can take out the closet rods on that side and install more shelves. It'll probably become my wife's craft room. :)

Since your room is a childs room, you might want to consider drawers and/or cabinets UNDER the bed. Beds take up most of the space in a room, so why not make use of that space. Depending on how high you make the bed, you could store a lot in that area. I've seen ready to assemble systems that include small closets and even a desk under the bed.

You also might want to search around for "dorm ideas". College dorms are usually very small and people have come up with lots of creative ways to make the most of the limited space.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

SOmething like this?

Goedjn

That bed is Amazing. Anyone work with that company?

Don

Reply to
bbcrock