pvc closet flange replacement/repair options

I have a toilet which was used by a very large person and now wobbles front to back. I pulled the toilet off and was going to just replace the wax ring, but it looks like the closet flange is warped and I suspect this is causing the wobbling. Will just replacing the wax ring fix this, or do I need to go ahead and replace the closet flange while I am at it? I would like to fix it right, but will settle for just the wax ring if there is a good possibility it will solve the wobbling problem.

To add to the issue, the existing warped PVC closet flange is glued to the sewer pipe. This is on the second floor. Thanks in advance for any advise or tips.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley T. Murphy

is the flange too high and will not let the toilet sit on the floor?? the toilet should sit on the floor level and not wobble.... they do sell some shims (small plastic pieces that will fit under the high side of the toilet and stop it from a wobble.. i bought a couple of packs at home depot when i had to install a replacement toilet and never had to use them... they had like 5 or 6 in a pack for about $1.00 or so.. its just a small 3/4 in wide by 2 in. long by zero to 1/8 in. piece of plastic that you shove under the installed toilet and then cut off what sticks out with a razor blade knife.....

Reply to
jim

The plastic flange is not going to keep a stool from rocking. As noted above, the toilet should sit firmly on the floor. Using the spacers as suggested above plus there is a toilet ring for "hard to stop" leaks. Never used one but have seen them mentioned. The first thing you need to do is get the toilet setting firmly.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Thanks guys, I think you have helped me get a better grasp of the situation. I will try using the shims.

I don't see any evidence of leakage, I just like a solid foundation when I'm doing my critical thinking and the shims should do the trick.

As a side note, it's disappointing seeing the way they build things now without any regard for how are you going to repair it 5 or 10 years down the road.

Reply to
Bradley T. Murphy