Battery drain

Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it died...got a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the alternater has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's at the mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

Reply to
Jessie

  1. Measure the charging voltage (with the car running).

  1. Measure the current draw on the battery with everything off.

Report back

Reply to
Dick Hardin

First off, you need to find a mechanic that knows how to actually check your electrical system rather than just blindly throw parts at it. You probably did not need an alternator or battery. That said, if your battery was over five years old, replacing it was probably not a bad precaution.

With the engine running, check the battery voltage , it should be approx. 13.8 volts plus or minus .2 volts is normal>

If that is OK then obviously something is draining the battery overnight. Since you would probably notice a light on, it might be the trunk light...I'd check the trunk light switch first then go from there.

Reply to
philo

Since it started with the install of the new, apparently aftermarket radio, I'd suspect it's possible something is wired up wrong there. These cars have all kinds of computers and screwing up something with the radio could result in something else staying on. I'd start with just disconnecting the new radio as an obvious test.

Reply to
trader_4

You dodged the bullet on that one DD. I had noticed your egregious error, and was preparing the mother of all grammar flames when I noticed your retraction.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

On 02/12/2017 9:56 AM, trader_4 wrote: ...

"..now it's at the mechanic's and they even unhook[ed] the radio [a]n[d] the car still dies overnight.."

Would agree it's good possibility the install did something bad, but seems to be more than just what is powering the radio...unless, of course, the chump mechanic didn't actually disconnect the radio but something else...

Reply to
dpb

I have no problem admitting my errors. I'll bet Gordo doesn't do the same.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are probably right

Reply to
philo
[snip]

My first car was like that. It took a long time to find the problem, glove compartment light switch.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I agree. And the radio should be wired to the original radio power wire, NOT the light wire for the radio dial light. OR connect it to the cig lighter power.

To eliminate any power drain overnight, go to an auto parts store and buy a battery disconnect switch. It mounts on the battery and the cable goes to the other side of the switch. You just need to open the hood and shut it off when you park for the night.

Reply to
Frat_Brother

A good mechanic has a device similar to this they can use to check the current through each circuit at the fuse panel.

James Wilkenson Swallows