I was working on a stationary battery.... a very large rack-mounted
assembly. I did not have the right tools for the job and my boss was
supposed to supply me with an insulated socket set.
When I initially refused to do the work, he told me I had no choice and
that I should just tape-up my socket set. Of course it slipped and the
bus bar cut through the tape and the battery shorted out and a cell
(Also...a 1000 amp fuse blew... and my socket set melted.)
My boss took the full blame, and the company insurance paid for the
damage. However, the bottom line was that it was my fault for doing what
I knew could be potentially unsafe.
I learned a lesson and believe me, from then on ...any time one of my
bosses did something that was out of line I yelled at them good and in
several instances filed a complaint. I saw most of my bosses , through
the years, ask for (and get) other assignments.
Thanks for sharing. Out of all the years you were
employed (may still be employed?) I'm guessing that
one is memorable. I have a few such days, like
Farmer Bob and his Gehl Skid Steer.
It sounds like a series of neglect, and one brief
oops, that did it in.
It also sounds like a great chance for someone to
make a Harbor Freight Non Conductive wrench set (made
from polymer plastic) that is on sale 30% off, for
only $14,629.95 with coupon (cannot be duplicated
or transferred) and inside track membership. Retool
the injection molders that used to make legal AR-15
rifle stocks, and we're all good.
Glad you were more safety minded, after that.
On 12/30/2013 09:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
<snip> > Thanks for sharing. Out of all the years you were
After 38 years on the job, I have now been retired for one year.
After that battery blew up you can be sure I never took any dangerous
BTW: The guy who was my boss eventually got fired and no one shed any
tears for him.
I had an RV starting battery quit on me. Zero, nothing, nada.
I related the experience to a friend who described his experience.
Apparently, the problem was an open-circuit internal to the battery.
When he took his back, the dealer accused him of being too dumb
to charge a battery and took it out back. When the charger turned on,
the spark was internal to the battery and blew acid everywhere.
That's excellent emergency advice. But it GROSSLY understates the
Ask any blind person if they wish they'd done whatever caused their
There is ZERO excuse for not wearing eye protection when dealing with
I've seen several batteries explode and most were cause by stupid
smokers using a cigaret lighter as a light source to see what the water
level in a battery was. They are usually the same sort of idiots who
refill a gas tank with a lit cigaret in their mouth. I've seen them
standing in front of a huge, "NO SMOKING WITHIN 100 FEET" sign and light
up a smoke. I really believe in natural selection but the idiots wind up
taking innocent people with them. o_O
Often enough that people are warned to not mess around with them like
an idiot. Even then...
My old geometry teacher had one blow up in his face while he was trying
to jump a car. Third degree burns along cheeks, chin and neck. Blind
for a couple of weeks, too.
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:57:28 -0500, Stormin Mormon
The battery on the old 1949 Massey Harris tractor developed a poor
inter-cell connection. Occaisionally it would not crank over. One day
it cranked a few times but did not start. I released the starter and
tried again - POW!!!! - away went the battery.
I was teaching a grade 10 automotive class, the subject was battery
safety - how to safely disconnect, connect, and handle automotive
batteries. A smart-assed army brat who had his Pontiac station wagon
in to do some work on it obviously wasn't listening, as when the
students were released to go work in the shop he tried starting the
old iron indian and he wore the battery down. He decided to take it
out and put in his other battery - and removed the positive battery
cable first - and drew a spark. Blew the bottom right out of the
I was working in my brother's shop,using a hand grinder to remove a
rusted nut - while he had a motorcycle battery on charge about 15 feet
away on the workbench. A stray spark from the grinder managed to find
it's way to the bench = and the battery disintegrated.
That's just 3 memorable incidents that stick out in my mind (of quite
a few over the last almost 50 years)
I salvage dead UPS units all the time and most of them only need new
batteries. I have a 1000 watt on the floor, a 750 on the counter, four
500's and a 350 running right now with several more I obtained that
need batteries. I use the AGM batteries which have a higher capacity
than the originals and fit in the same slot. I'm amazed at the folks who
will trash the units when they only need new batteries. Of course I take
the bad batteries to a recycler. My UPS units not only keep the
computers and routers up when the power fails but keep my CFL and LED
lights on for some time. I can always shut down the computer equipment
and keep the lights on. ^_^
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
Even an inverter requires all of the transfer equipment/care that a
generator does, and a twist-lock single outlet/plug for a furnace can
be made code compliant and will allow you to unplug the furnace and
direct connect it to a generator - or a 3 way switch can be used to
"transfer" the furnace from the grid to the generator.
I'm putting a "motorsnorkel" conversion on my 7200 watt Champion
generator and will have an interlock onmy new breaker panel when it is
installed next spring.
On Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:57:07 PM UTC-5, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
and a twist-lock single outlet/plug for a furnace can
This has been discussed here many times and as I seem to recall
the best evidence has been that it does not meet the NEC requirements.
You can't use a plug and cord to connect a piece of permanent eqquipment
that is not listed to be connected that way. Still, as someone else
posted, it's probably acceptable to inspectors in some places.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.