Bathroom sink - does it need post supports?

Basin/Lavatory legs. Common hdwr item:

down to pic.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had 2 of those style sinks, which I replaced a few years ago.

I never even new they had an optional leg assembly. I saw one day them at a friend's parents house, which I went over to replace a old broken trap. I was kind of surprised, and I checked my sinks (before I had replaced them), and low and behold, they also had holes for these types of legs... I checked the local larger renovation store (similar to HD), and they had the same sink on display, and they had it with the legs also. When I asked the guy, he told me that the legs were an optional addon, and were only needed if you could not get enough support from the bracket in the wall.. ie: if you had to place the rear support bracket somewhere where you would not be able to bolt into a really solid frame. They would add addtional support. Also he told me that many of the senior customers would opt for them, since they frequently use the front of the sink to support themselves, and sometimes it is too much stress for just the rear bracket.

Under normal everyday use, you should not really need the additional leg supports. I know for the 3 years I had them in my house (and the 20 years the previous owner had them) , we did not need them.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Reply to
The_Emporium

I bought a used bathroom sink at a local recycling place to replace a wall-mounted sink that's chipped and ugly. The replacement sink is several decades old and has a standard 4" centers integrated hot/cold two handled faucet arrangement, which I'll probably replace with something new. This has a rubber plug on a chain, and maybe my faucet replacement will include an integrated stopper.

Well, it was pointed out to me yesterday that maybe this sink was designed to not only have wall support from the obvious ceramic flange supports, but is also supposed to have a couple of legs. It has a couple of ~1" holes under the front, and I guess those might be for supports, unless they are for drainage (!) or ventilation.

The current sink has no legs and is obviously supported by a bracket imbedded in the wall. How can I find out if this is supposed to have legs? If it does need legs, where can I get them? I found no help for this at American Standard's website.

On the bottom of the sink are an American Standard sticker and the following stamped figures:

P53

F 369 20 33

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

[...]

Yes, that helps, and thanks to Speedy Jim for the link. I guess I'll see how it goes when I get the other sink off, if the support for the brackets is tough enough. I don't know if the brackets for the present sink will work with the replacement. Maybe with an adjustment or maybe they will fit as is, it's hard to tell not having taken the first sink off yet.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant