Bathroom paint repair

Due to my lack of experence with painting I mistakenly did not prime over a large number of patching I preformed with joint compound due to nail pops (new construction). The surface was throughly cleaned with a TSP solution prior to painting and I used 2 coats of paint due to the lack of primer/to insure good coverage. I also used a high quality Behr paint. The blemishes I see only appear when using the shower/bath in bathroom. When showering obviously a certain amount of humidity is generated, and as normal we combat this with the bathroom fan however about the time the mirror starts to fog, we begin to see the spots on the wall where I patched. It seems as the mosture in the air begins condense on all surfaces in the room but it seems somewhat avoid the spots that I patched with joint compound. This creates a very unattractive and obvious poke-a-dot effect on the wall. After the mosture evaporates post shower/bath the above situation goes away and the paint looks like normal. I am at a total loss of why this is occuring any help on how to correct this would be greatly apprecated!

TIA.

-MW

Reply to
MikeWazowski

Moisture condenses there too but it is being sucked up by the unprimed DW compound. To fix, prime with oil base and repaint.

Alternatively, you might try spotting the areas with an acrylic sealer (I'm thinking of something like SealCrete). It will take more than one application, you'll know the spots are sealed when the surface dries shiny. If your top paint has the same sheen you may not have to top coat again. You could also wipe a sponge wet with the sealer over all (after sealing the spots) to give a uniform sheen.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
nospambob

dadiOH,

Any repercissions of leaving it this way? Or will it ruin the drywall/paint if left as is... is this issue severe enough to warrant us stoping the use of the shower in this bath until it can be sealed?

TIA.

- MW

Reply to
MikeWazowski

Short term (a year or so) it isn't likely to cause any major problems. Long term it may cause peeling and flaking of the paint in nearby areas as the moisture gets behind the vapor barrier of the old paint. I would try to avoid that if possible.

I think the binz shellac based sealer/primer paint serves as a vapor barrier and might be easier for you to use than the oil based recommended by someone else. The Binz can be top coated with your choice of acrylic or oil paint with no additional primer needed and can be top coated about an hour after the primer coat has been applied. Makes it a one day project.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I guess I am unfamilar with that product. Is this something I would be able to ask for at the Depot? Is this a one coat sort of thing or several? Can I top coat with matching latex paint. I am familar with Kilz, would that work for this?

Thanks for you help.

- MW

Reply to
Mike Wazowski

They have it.

It may be spelled Bins. Almost the same as Kilz. Just a bit better in my opinion.

One nice coat should do it. Two if it does not have a uniform look after the first.

Kilz may work. Read the label. Been to long for me to recall.

Reply to
Colbyt