Bath Fan Exhaust through Eave?

I'm installing a bath fan in a bathroom that is on the street side of the house. It is probably a 15-20' duct run to get the vent to somewhere on the roof at the back of the house so the vent isn't visible from the street. I have a hard time believing that the moisture I'm trying to get rid of won't condense in this length run, so I'm considering running the exhaust through an eave. This installation would require a duct run of under 5'.

Any reason I shouldn't run the thing through the eave?

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

AFAIK, that is what you have to do in snow country, which could block roof vents. Or a high wall vent.

Reply to
John Hines

It is generally considered a poor idea. Then again most people who try to vent through the eave just stick the end of the vent somewhere close to an eave vent. Little if any of it will go down through the vent that way. If you are putting in a vent in the eave just for the bath vent, then that would be better. It should be good if there are no other eave vent openings close to where you are exhausting the bath fan. If one is close it is likely to suck in the warm moist air and bring it right into the attic where it will cause problems.

Given the choice of the long vent or a good eave vent, I would go for the good eave vent. However if it were my home, I would put the vent through the roof as near to the source as possible, even if it was an exposed roof plane.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Warren Weber