Basement floor crack

Hi there,

I moved to a new house and about a month after the closing date, I found that there was a crack on the floor. It was a 1/16" wide crack and it went all the way from one side of my house to the other, length wise it's like

20+ feet. Is that a structural damage? or does this happen to everyone due to concrete shrinkage? Do I have to worry?

Albert

Reply to
NOSPAMNONAME

They probably put a zip stip in to provide a place for the concrete to crack. Its easier to sweep with out the control joints in that they used to use for this purpose.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Normal. Do a search on this newsgroup for concrete cracks. Concrete shrinks and cracks unless there are expansion joints (which usually are not done on residential -- they would leak water anyway). Check your walls there are probably (or will be) more. Don't worry, get some sleep, and enjoy your new house.

BTW, I freaked out when I saw this on my new house too. Bottom line is, ALL concrete cracks.

Reply to
Richard B