basement ceiling

Hi all, I am planning to redo my basement. Now ceiling covered with ugly boards. What options do I have for ceiling, I don't want to do drywall.Any advice, please Ed.

Reply to
Ed

My suggestion? Drop ceiling. If you ever need to get up under the ceiling for repairs or to string new wires, cables, etc., it's a piece of cake. Get a leak from upstairs? Just change a few panels.

Reply to
willshak

Ceiling tiles in a drop ceiling is probably easiest. Basement ceiling often have a lot of utilities in them and you may need access at some point.

Owens Corning h as been advertising new materials just for basements. May be worth taking a look at what they have.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Art Todesco

Ed:

E > I am planning to redo my basement. Now ceiling covered with ugly E > boards. What options do I have for ceiling, I don't want to do E > drywall.Any advice, please

Whatever you do don't use paneling! The stuff will sag. Saw this in a basement of a house we looked at to buy.

Others suggested drop ceilings - I would tend to agree. Will be much easier to run any wiring and get to plumbing, HVAC, etc. If you really need to get the ceiling tight use a flexible tile.

Another option would be some sort of do-it-yourself variation of the dropped ceiling: a large panel is supported by wood 1x's. Screw the

1-by's into the joists for eventual removal (see previous paragraph).

  • State Motto: Kansas: First Of The Rectangle States
Reply to
barry martin