basement access door (outside)

Plan on building an apartment in the basement of a bungalow we have bought, would like to have access to this apartment from outside the house, I plan on hiring the job out to a pro, what would I ask, who would I call, are permits needed etc...

it will be a simple concrete flight of stairs down to the basement entrance, drain in the lower most portion and a railing of course, maybe covered by a "sundeck' type enclosure for winter use

any hints, tips, what to look out for etc...

any ideas on the cost of something like this, the builder of the home wants $5000 to do this during construction.

thanks

Reply to
Punch

Aieeee! Run down to your local building inspector and find out what the local requirements are. Things have changed and you need "escape" windows in living space - including the basement. That $5k may be too low.

Reply to
Ed Clarke