Bar oil for electric chain saw.

Steve, the multi-visicoty oils work but do sling a little. 30W non-detergent works fine. Most what I personally use.

Have a friend who lives on a farm. Never uses anything but old filtered motor oil from his cars, tractors or whatever. His heavily used 25 year old saw seemed to be going strong the last time I saw it.

Reply to
Colbyt

Doug Miller wrote the following:

Motor oil is a lubricant albeit lighter than bar oil which pours like molasses, but like others have said they used, transmission fluid and brake fluid are hydraulic fluids and may have lubricant properties, but I would rather have a fluid designed for pure lubrication, and like you said, motor oil gets slung off the chain faster. I'll use the real bar oil.

Reply to
willshak

As I was watching mine, I figured so long as it doesn't go dry, that it wouldn't matter. And yes, the thinner, the more sling. I just wasn't sure.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"willshak" wrote

Me, too. But it is nice to know that I can use other lubricants in a pinch.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have not checked it out, but have read that the Bar oil is made to break down and not harm nature. Good for the environment , where regular motor type oil is bad for the environment. If it were not for that, just about any oil would be ok .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes. Never hurts to have an ole pump oil can around. Squirt some "erl" on the blade and chain. Rotate the blade a few turns as you do this, wipe away "dripping" oil. It helps prevet all this "slinging" oil problem.

Reply to
Oren

"Oren" wrote

You still in Sin City, Bubba? Going there Friday.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Bring me a case of vine ripe tomatoes.

Reply to
Oren

I've used regular motor oil many times when that is all I had on hand. Even the multi-viscosity type such as 10W40. As long as the chain is getting some sort of lubricant, it should work properly and not wear. I was told the advantage to the "bar oil" is that it has an addative to make it stick better to the chain and the bar. Whether this is true, I am not sure. You know how everyone makes products just to make more money, and bar oil is pretty much just oil, which sells for

2 or more times the cost of motor oil. But it's not going to make me bankrupt, so I buy the stuff. I really do not know if it's any better than plain motor oil. I do think it's a little thicker than 30W oil. I have always wondered why it's colored????
Reply to
parkavenue

What's the manual say?

Mine says use 10w-30 motor oil. Bar & chain oil for gas machines may be too thick for an electric.

Reply to
Bob M.

Got laid up, and the greenhouse is still on the list. My neighbor has just a visqueen greenhouse, and he was getting tomatoes VERY early last year. I will check, and ping you in the group. I thought I was coming Friday, but the CC&R's on the property aren't available yet. May be next week.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

wrote in

Not sure about the oil coloration, maybe to differentiate it because it is so thick, and may have additives that would cause failure if run in a regular crankcase. The State of Utah has two tax rates on their diesel fuel. The one for farm use is taxed a lot less, and is dyed. But if you get caught running it in a vehicle with a license plate on it, I understand it is a big fine.

Steve, a Utard

Reply to
Steve B

I've also heard that bar oil is more sticky. I find that to be the case.

Colored? Affirmative Action. That kind of oil wasn't allowed in bars for many years, especially in the deep south.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Please note that most electric chainsaw manuals recommend 30W or 40W motor oil to lube the chain & bar. Regular bar & chain oil is too thick to feed the chain properly unless you pump continuously (until your thumb cramps up or falls off). The lighter weight oil (30W) may leak a bit, but your chain & bar will last a lot longer.

_________________________ Message sent through

woodmouse

replying to Doug Miller, modeler4 wrote: but how is the oiler going to know the oil is getting flung off faster, won't the oil just come out at the same rate? unless you have a manual oiler.

Reply to
modeler4