Back Stab GFIs

I never use the back stab holes on outlets where the wires just snap in, but on GFI's it's very difficult to get the wires on the screws since they are recessed. When using the back stab holes, the wires are tightened by the screws on the sides. These seem like a good connection, but I am wondering how others feel about this.

COMMENTS ?????

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

It isn't a backstab. It's a clamp, however not a very good one. This type of outlet clamp seems to work well with stranded wire, but I have trouble keeping the wires tight with solid conductors. It seems I can tighten one wire to the breaking point, then as I tighten a second or third wire, the first ones come loose. They work best if you hold the outlet in one position, get all wires in and tight, then just push it straight back into the box

Reply to
RBM

Backstabing, a spring is the means of securing the wire. Backwiring, a screw/pressure plate is the means for securing the wire.

Different things. As for backwiring GFCI's, or any device, I just have to remember teh strip gauge is more a requirement, than other wiring methods.

Oh, I like backwiring. Guess just me. :)

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

I like back wiring as far as the ease of making the connection, but after that, it can be a big fight to get the device in the box. I am daisy chaining some of these GFIs so getting all 4 wires plus ground into the box is tricky, and I am using a 4" square box with extended metal front plate too. It would be impossible to get this into a handy box. t too for

Reply to
maradcliff

And then there are these...

Rick

That's what I used in my re-wire jobs - Cooper brand GFI outlets. The connection was as solid as anything I've seen (which isn't much).

Reply to
Eigenvector