Attic Insulation project

I want to add a bit of r-factor to my home. I would like to know if I can get some how to pointers and things that I should do. As an example: I have begun to repair all of my air ducts with insulation. Binding them with those elastic plastic clips. I will be installing some plywood strips to walk down the inside of the crawl space. (I have enough space to walk upright to most areas.

What would be your steps you recommend to me. What safety concerns? What material would you use. Is Blown insulation a better option? Should I use the insulation bought as a panel/roll instead of blown insulation.

I figure that I have approximately 1500 square feet of space. (net)

I'm told that for each 40 square foot, I will need a bag of blown insulation. However, I'm cautious about selection of added r factor. Home Depot/Lowes have similiar cellulose type blown material to sell at 10.00 a bag.

Thanks

Reply to
rruiz33

I built in elevated walks, then added unfaced fiberglas batts over the pre-existing blown-in, going across the joists. This was after rewireing to get rid of the knob and tube wiring, which shouldn't be insulated. Tha batts are nice, because you can move them aside when you need to work on something.

Bob F

Reply to
Bob F

Good advice, insulation is like the last DIY project for the attic. Ensure the roof is good, ventulation is good, wiring is good, ductwork is good(which you mentioned), etc.

R-30 when my house was built, 14 years ago. The previous owners crushed much of it, so I just added two layers of crisscrossed unfaced batts (r30) on top. So it would be a pain to remove to do other work.

Tom @

Just Joshin