attic insulation

Tell me I'm dreaming, but I wish there was some way I could insulate my attic and leave the old studs exposed, as well as brace boards around the windows that extend into the room that would make sheet rocking difficult. The house is over 100 years old and I like the look of bare studs, however, I want to use the attic as a spare bedroom on occassion and question wheather exposed insulation is healthy? Would it create dust? I would like to think somewhere there is something more finished that could be put between the studs. I live in a simi-mild climate so it wouldn't take much. I don't want to spray anything because I don't want to empty my attic to do the work! Any ideas? Itching to get Started

Reply to
uchtman

What type of insulation? Fiberglass could give off some dust, but probably not a big deal. I'd be more concerned about getting dust on the insulation myself.

Foam insulation would not give off dust, but it would collect it. Even though it is a fire retardant material, code requires it to be covered with sheetrock anyway.

The foil backed insulation is probably the best from a dust POV, but it sure would not look as nice as anything else.

To get the look you want, I'd consider putting is some rigid foam insulation and then putting panels of sheetrock over it, but just between the studs. It would stay put with some construction adhesive, can be painted and still be thick enough to provide good insulating value. If the stud if 4", I'd put 2 1/2" of foam, 1/2" of sheetrock, then leave the rest exposed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's more work than the usual gypsum board application, but one can cut panels to fit between the memebers. We did that in our basement and get positive comments on the appearance. TB

Reply to
tbasc

One might spray paint it before installation...

And skip the sheetrock.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Take off all your shingles, put down 6 inches of foam, cover that with a layer of self-vented decking, and re-shingle.

Reply to
Goedjn