Attempting new bathroom tiling from accumulated web knowledge - Am I nuts

Been researching bathroom tile installations for a new bathroom I would like to create in my house. Would anyone care to comment on some of the statements I have accepted as truth from my research:

  1. Alcove tub/shower with tiled walls: Use a vapor barrier, 1/2" CBU, and thinset. This is the second best option, but first for homeowner timid about floating a mortar bed.

  1. Tub/shower ceiling: Use green board and a high quality latex paint

  2. Tub/shower ceiling: Marble tile on ceiling - Can't be done safely by inexperienced homeowner.

  1. Bathroom walls: Greenboard is better than blueboard/plaster.

  2. If alcove tub tiles flange out of alcove to exterior face (for decorative purposes) it is OK to mount these tiles on blueboard/greenboard.

Love to have someone dispell any misconceptions before purchase/install.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

I agree

I would expand this to any drywall you replace in the bathroom.

Why not? I've never used marble other than a threshhold here & there. Does it require a special adhesive?

I'm not so sure but I always put the green stuff in a bathroom cuz, um, cuz... THEY say we have to use it.

I agree

Good luck.

Reply to
RayV

I would just add that for any paint in a bathroom, especially the ceiling, I either use a paint with mildewcide (like Bennie Moore's K&B) or add mildewcide to the paint.

Personally, I dont' like tile on the ceiling. The grout is too hard to keep clean and mildew free.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Vapour barrier on outside walls. Cement board is best, denshield and the like are second choices and easier to work with. Number one glue for walls.

Oil based paint, latex will show curtains.

Why not?

We use ordinary drywall, so do most here. (I know what the manufacturer recommends.)

Okay.

Grout twice.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Mortar beds are "old school" in my understanding, and aren't done much except by some pros with, um, "experience".

Fine.

I don't see why not, unless they mean the marble should not fall out. If it's big tile, I can see the problem.

Plaster in a bathroom nowadays? But honestly, how wet are the walls really going to get?

Reply to
jeffc

What the heck does that mean? I see no reason for oil paint in the bathroom.

Reply to
jeffc