asphalt millings

Thanks for the information....

Reply to
webber1998

replying to Richard J Kinch, SEPaving wrote: For someone who purports to know so much about asphalt pavement, you sure don't seem to know much about how one is resurfaced. All large asphalt contractors have been utilizing milling machines to smooth & top-grade existing roads prior to laying down a new mat of asphalt for the last 15 years or so. You use a large milling machine & about 70% of the time there is enough liquid asphalt left in the millings that simply spreading & compacting the millings will result in a very durable driveway. After a summer or two of being baked by the sun and driven on normally even a scarifier has a pretty tough time cutting through the mat this forms.

Reply to
SEPaving

I've seen plenty of rotomilling but when they redid the road where I live they used a technique I hadn't seen. It was chip seal that hadn't had much maintenance for thirty years I know of. They ground up the pavement in place and redeposited it with some fairly large chunks. Riding a bike on it was a real pleasure. Then they went away for a month or so, let traffic compact it, and came back to lay down real hot top. We'll see how that goes. Most of the city streets are periodically chip sealed and they develop deep enough ruts that you have to be careful when you stop for a light on a bike.

Reply to
rbowman

replying to rwebb, Ray B wrote: Looking at hawk seal mb

Reply to
Ray B