area around fire pit

A couple of years ago we put in a nice block fire pit. After a rather wet spring we are thinking about putting something around it to lessen the mud a little. Being basically lazy I want to just take some stone or river rock or similar and spread it around with no other base preparation. Is that like to work or just make things worse?

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

How big a fire pit ?

Mine is a large truck rim - front wheel rim - not just a steel circle - mine has a raised curved shape, with "air holes" all around - set it up-side-down - on a few stones or bricks so air can feed the fire from below. < after a small dig-out of the lawn sod > Just a simple small rough border of flatstone - then lawn - for the chairs -- - quite simple and easy to maintain - dig out the ashes once a year. My neighbour has a 6 foot round brick structure with circular pave-stones around that - which is fine for big crowds around a big fire - or burning brush piles - but less good for the average Saturday night 4 person star-gaze. John T.

Reply to
hubops