Aprilaire Humidifier choice question

What is the difference in performance of an Aprilaire 600 and a 700. I told my contractor that I wanted a 700 installed. I checked the furnace this evening and found that a 600 was installed instead of the 700 that I wanted. I have a 2700 sq ft ranch home. Should I complain about it? Thanks for your opinions.

Reply to
Dave

Which one did you pay for? Then complain...

Reply to
edee em

Performance wise they are very close to the same, so close it is not worth mentioning. The big differance is price. The 700 is a powered humidifier, more money. The 600 is a bypass humidifier, less money than the 700. Which did you pay for? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I haven't got the bill yet.

Reply to
Dave

There is a big problem here.

First, did you get anything in writing? Secondly, did you just tell them to put it in without any idea what the cost will be? If they gave you an estimate, then you should deduct the difference in the humidifier costs. The 700 costs almost double in price for the humidifier and an electrical outlet must be run for power as well if there isn't one near by.

If you think you may be getting taken, have another relative with a different name call and get prices for both installed and see if they ripped you off. OR, wait for the bill and see if they have listed a 700 or 600. If they have a 700 on the invoice and the price is reasonable, have them come out and change it or the price on the invoice.

Never get something done without an estimate unless price is no option. Maybe the contractor knows as I do that difference between the two doesn't justify the extra cost. As a matter of fact, the 700 costs more to run with the electric fan and most of them don't work well on existing furnaces because the duct is poorly designed and they usually have too much static.I have two 700's in my home and I don't like them. Experience has taught me to use the 600 whenever possible.

Reply to
Geoman

I got the 600 for 250 installed. Did I pay too much? Thanks for your comments.

invoice and the price

and they usually

Reply to
Dave

$250?? Does the gent work for free? The last one I installed was just under $500! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hi, Maybe rough-in was already done. Why bother, it is a stuff for DIY. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My new home is just being finished and I will be moving in in a couple of weeks. That's probably why it didn't cost me as much.

Reply to
Dave

Maybe, compared to more air sealing (caulk, etc.) and some green plants. Humidifiers are expensive to operate in air-leaky houses in cold climates, counting the space heating energy needed to evaporate water.

If you don't like green plants, you might use a humidistat and a solenoid valve from an old washing machine and a soaker hose on the basement floor.

And maybe add a dehumidifier (a heat pump with a cop of about 1.6) upstairs, in a house with electric resistance heating.

Herbach and Rademan (800) 848-8001

sell a $4.95 Navy surplus humidistat, item number TM89HVC5203, with a 20-80% range, a 3-6% differential, and a 7.5A 125V switch that can be wired to open or close on humidity rise.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

What's the issue with duct/static about? I have a 700 in a 3500 sq ft home and it works perfectly. I chose it for two reasons. First, it doesn't decrease the furnace blower capacity by bypassing air around it. And second, with the 700, the water is introduced as the hot air is leaving the furnace. With bypass models like the 600, the water is introduced through the cold side, meaning you now have hot moist air running directly through the heat exchanger of the furnace, which sounds like a good way to create rust.

Also, the 700 has an outside air temp sensor that backs off the humidity as the outside temp decreases. I don't think the 600 has the outside sensor.

I have two 700's in my home and I don't like them.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Too much? I want to know how your HVAC guy stays in biz working that cheap....is it a one man shop or something and does he work out of a Pinto wagon like Stormin Moron..???

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Hi, More bells and whistles, more possible trouble. Rule of thumb in anything. I have a spray type on my furnace. House is full of plants year round. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yep, 600's come with an outdoor sensor. I've installed a bunch of them. The moist air only happens when the furnace blower is running, not a real serious problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So..you installed a ton of them, and you dont know that you have to set the dampner on the 600 to Winter, or Summer????? Your post leads one to think the 600 has a fully automatic dampner operation, and it does not.

And if YOU have installed a "bunch" of them and not told the customer that..then you are one of the guys that is giving others the impression these can hurt...

Reply to
*CBHVAC*