Appliance lead time

Has anyone put a Whirlpool refrigerator on order lately ?

In the middle of August we put in an order for a new refrigerator at Queen City. Was told it may be October before it was shipped to them.

OK.

October came and went and no refrigerator.

Things were busy around here and just got them under control. Stopped in today and the salesman showed me where there were 3 people waiting on the model we want, but 12 are suppose to be on the way.

We do not need the refrigerator at this time, but the one we have is around 15 years old and just wanted to replace it before it quit on us and we had to settle for what was in the stores.

Are other stores that backed up on the Whirlpool refrigerators ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, and it's not only Whirlpool.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

One of those things we never thought about in the past but the past year, the world has changed.

Ed Pawlowski

I ordered a freezer and a washing machine this year. Had to wait about a month for the freezer and 3 weeks for the washing machine. First time I ever shopped by availability/shipping date. Had to find a store that had them in stock. I wouldn't go by "expected" availability.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Shopping by shipping date sounds like what I often do on ebay. Look for the lowest price first, then the nearest one to me.

I am just glad that we have not had a refrigerator breakdown like we did about 30 years ago and had to wait either 2 or 3 days one one to be delivered. Would hate to wait about 5 months like we may have to on this refrigeraor. As the wife and I are 70, decided that it is a good time to replace the 15 year old refrigerator while it is still working and it may be the last time.

The refrigerator and washer/dryers are things that are difficult to do without for a long period of time. We can always eat out or microwave up a meal if the stove goes out. Wash dishes by hand or paper plates and cups if the dishwasher quits. The only other that I can think of worse is the well going out and no water. Or no power for a long period of time. I do have a generator and wood stove to survive for a few days.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery
[snip of big delivery delays]

A related suggestion: If you don't "need" a specific model but just something functional, check out the various used and second hand stores in your area.

The bigger examples are Habitat for Humanity, and sometimes Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.

There are also likely to be local places somewhere nearby, some of which are just the two people working there, and others might be part of a loosely affiliated chain.

Those can be connected to the rental centers, which are usually a bad deal whten renting, but will often sell off the units they've recovered.

Our washer recently died and we got a used one at a local shop for roughly 1/3 the price of a similar new one.

Reply to
danny burstein

Hey, I do that too. And I think it makes a big differene if something is 100 miles away vs. 1000. It comes a lot quicker.

One time I wanted to buy something that turned out to be 5 miles away. He let me come over and pick it up. He was only a mile from the family I bought it for.

Another time too, but that guy had me meet him in a shopping center parking lot. He bought estates and sold them online. Maybe he was afraid of ghosts.

You're going to be saying this again when you're 85.

I can use the outside in place of a refrigerator until spring comes. If I lose the furnace, maybe wrap myself in an electric blanket with a long cord.

Reply to
micky

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 15:07:00 -0500, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to digest...

I have seen news broadcasts on this topic and all the "white goods" are on b/o. I don't remember why.

Reply to
Tekkie©

I'm sure some is China tariffs and shortages from virus closings. Even assembled in USA has China made parts.

Reply to
Bob

This refrigerator is comming out of Mexico from what I was told.

However it would not surprise me if some if not all parts come from China and is just put together in Mexico.

I do think that 4 1/2 months is still a long time. But it may be that they only make that particular model run a couple of times a year and they have not started on it yet.

I don't know how they do it now, but big companies often tool up for a certain model and make a run of them, then tool up for another model.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yah, it's the covid delays.  I waited about 3 months for a Whirlpool 36" bottom-of-the-line side-by-side.  This thing didn't even have a through-the-door ice dispenser.

Reply to
Hal Bundy