Anyone make a grill cover that will last more than 1 season?

On 9/4/2011 7:27 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

I just ask my wife to make mine. For a decent seamstress it's pretty simple.

I wonder if a motorcycle cover would work. Mine is a Dowco Guardian. My last one lasted years in Nebraska weather.

I have not had much luck either. Lately I've just been buying the $6 walmart one and replacing it once a year.

My grill cover was bought May 2004 together with the Sears Kenmore grill (~$20 for the cover). Grill has stayed outside under the awning over the garage entrance since then. It doesn't look that well/good anymore, but is still intact and functional.
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/6/2011 3:19 PM, Steve B wrote:

What somebody suggested up-thread, a little 3-sided 'tractor shed' to wheel the thing into after it cools, is sounding better and better. 4 posts plus a little cross-bracing or siding, and a little sloped roof, should do the trick. In my experience, tarps or covers on equipment stored outside, often do more harm than good, due mainly to condensation. You could even combine the shelter with a bird-feeding platform or plant stand or something.
--
aem sends...

One size does not fit all. Any such enclosure in my area is like hanging a VACANCY sign out for the black widows, scorpions, pack rats, brown recluse and hobo spiders.
Steve

If you still have an old one you can use as a pattern have one made out of Teflon impregnated cloth. I found the material at the local cloth store. They clean easy too. . They line thermal drapes and make ironing board covers out of this stuff
Jimmie
I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I j ust had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that w ill work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't imme diately run off in the rain.
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 06:24:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Welcome to the world of more intense UV rays. I have noticed that a lot of outdoor equipment and materials degrade far more rapidly than in the past.
I sincerely doubt sun block, made for people, would last very long on your grill cover. The first rain or morning dew would probably wash it off very quickly.
All that being said, take a look at this cover. It has extremely good reviews and offers a 3 year warranty.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Thanks - the reviews on this one look great. I like the custom fit of the cover for my smoker by the manufacturer but the reviews were 50-50. I'll probably go with this one.

I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks tha t will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't i mmediately run off in the rain.

e/dp/B00SZ5ADN6

Don't start the global warming shit.
--
Flanders and Swann on MOT tests:
Our car is getting a bit old, it'll have to be tested soon.

Where do you live that you only get one season? My Weber is 5 years and a generic one on my smoker is at east 10 and will get at least one more year. I'm in New England though, not Arizona.
There may be some sort of UV inhibitor you can coat it with, or just throw an old blanket over the cover. How about a cheap blue tarp?
metro DC area. i don't know. haven't had much luck with the ones i buy. my wife bought my latest grill cover. it had the logo for my favorite NFL team on it. i kid you not, it was not more than 3 months in the sun when t he vinyl on top started cracking in spots. haha
i will try the tarp idea if all else fails.
thanks

I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks th at will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 09:10:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When you buy a logo on a product, the logo is quite likely to outlast what it is put on. You want a QUALITY cover, which will not be cheap - but spend the money on the cover, not the licenced logo.
On 08/13/2017 08:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Cheap blue tarps don't last and they're a mess when they turn into blue confetti and strings.
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 06:24:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You'll probably notice that sunscreen has an expiration-date. That date is for when it's stored in normal conditions (like in a cupboard), in the original container. When it's used, outside in the sun, the stuff might become useless in a few hours or a few days.
--
croy

true - but it's probably more like the binding agents that degrade. the st uff that confers the UV protection, e.g. titanium dioxide or zinc oxide - t hose oxides are stable. i was just hoping to saturate the fabric with the stuff but yeah, i wonder how long before that stuff washes off in the rain.

is for when it's

er. When it's used,

w days.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 09:59:15 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Better to use something like Armor-All UV protectant.
On 8/13/17 1:22 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

The mice need another place to hide in the winter. Aaannd, one might slip on the ice if he's dragging the grill out in a blizzard to grill. It's gotta be outside so the neighbors have something to discuss.