Anyone make a grill cover that will last more than 1 season?

If you still have an old one you can use as a pattern have one made out of Teflon impregnated cloth. I found the material at the local cloth store. They clean easy too. . They line thermal drapes and make ironing board covers out of this stuff

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

"aemeijers" wrote

One size does not fit all. Any such enclosure in my area is like hanging a VACANCY sign out for the black widows, scorpions, pack rats, brown recluse and hobo spiders.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A covered car lasts a lot longer in terms of the paint and top coat. Shingles on a house protect the house from not just rain but the sun too. The suns rays do a lot more damage than you realize.

Reply to
elmestengo

I would look at a vinyl cover from these people or just buy the roll goods and make your own. The HH66 glue will make a joint as strong as the material. I made a boat lift cover that is like new after 5 years in the Florida sun.

gfretwell

The cover on my Broil King is 5 years iold now and no sighn of giving up. No Idea who MADE it but it's sold by Broil King. Not cheap, but good seldom is.

Reply to
clare

My Weber cover is 5 years too and still is good. Had a no-name on my last grill and got 10 years from it. My smoker cover is at least 12 years This is in New England, could be tougher in Arizona.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sun 16 Apr 2017 04:04:45p, Oren told us...

We also live in Arizona in the desert and our Weber cover is 6 years old and perfectly good.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I j ust had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that w ill work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't imme diately run off in the rain.

Reply to
mrtqtran

Welcome to the world of more intense UV rays. I have noticed that a lot of outdoor equipment and materials degrade far more rapidly than in the past.

I sincerely doubt sun block, made for people, would last very long on your grill cover. The first rain or morning dew would probably wash it off very quickly.

All that being said, take a look at this cover. It has extremely good reviews and offers a 3 year warranty.

Stormin' Norman

Where do you live that you only get one season? My Weber is 5 years and a generic one on my smoker is at east 10 and will get at least one more year. I'm in New England though, not Arizona.

There may be some sort of UV inhibitor you can coat it with, or just throw an old blanket over the cover. How about a cheap blue tarp?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You'll probably notice that sunscreen has an expiration-date. That date is for when it's stored in normal conditions (like in a cupboard), in the original container. When it's used, outside in the sun, the stuff might become useless in a few hours or a few days.

Reply to
croy

Thanks - the reviews on this one look great. I like the custom fit of the cover for my smoker by the manufacturer but the reviews were 50-50. I'll probably go with this one.

I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks tha t will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't i mmediately run off in the rain.

e/dp/B00SZ5ADN6

Reply to
mrtqtran

metro DC area. i don't know. haven't had much luck with the ones i buy. my wife bought my latest grill cover. it had the logo for my favorite NFL team on it. i kid you not, it was not more than 3 months in the sun when t he vinyl on top started cracking in spots. haha

i will try the tarp idea if all else fails.

thanks

I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks th at will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Reply to
mrtqtran

true - but it's probably more like the binding agents that degrade. the st uff that confers the UV protection, e.g. titanium dioxide or zinc oxide - t hose oxides are stable. i was just hoping to saturate the fabric with the stuff but yeah, i wonder how long before that stuff washes off in the rain.

is for when it's

er. When it's used,

Reply to
mrtqtran

Just checked Amazon for one I got there with 2 summers on it going fine:

I don't have Prime but even with shipping it was cheaper than similar ones in stores here.

Only problem with it is black dye is fading badly. Does not bother me but might bother somebody else.

Reply to
Frank

The mice need another place to hide in the winter. Aaannd, one might slip on the ice if he's dragging the grill out in a blizzard to grill. It's gotta be outside so the neighbors have something to discuss.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You don't need a cover for a Weber. My charcoal one has been sitting outside for 20 years. The gas fired one for 3 years. Neither ever saw a cover.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Check with your homeowner's association. Some only allow original equipment covers.

Reply to
Luther

The original cover that came with my Broil King is 7 or 8 years old now and still in great condition - left out year round in Central Ontario.

Reply to
clare

SunBlock is more likely to damage the cover than protect it.

Reply to
clare