Anybody Had Experience With This Cheap Grinder?

I bought it and was assembling it this afternoon. Here's a report so far.

The left wheel wobbles. But, the right one doesn't and that's the wheel I use. I put a wire wheel on the other.

On one cover plate (the plate on the side that attaches to the guard around the wheel and covers the side of the wheel) there was a stripped/wallered out phillips screw head. I had to drill it out to remove the cover. It probably doesn't need but two screws anyway. The cover plate on the other side had a screw so tight I thought I was going to have to drill it out too. I finally got it loose, but not without boogering up the head ( tightening them too tight at the assembly plant is how the other one got stripped.)

The holes in the wheel guards are not tapped through, so the attaching bolts require a good deal of force and don't go in straight. Because they're tight and going into sheet metal you worry you'll strip them trying to get them tight enough to hold. The wire wheel was in the car which was gone with my wife, so I don't yet know what finishing the assembly will be like.

See my next post on attaching a wire wheel.

-- Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Now that I have the wire wheel/brush, it has a 5/8" hole. The grinder has a 1/2" arbor. It is supposed to have a reducing insert for the hole (they call it a 1/2" adapter). The adapter is missing. It would cost me more than the brush cost to drive back to the store. The national customer "satisfaction" department says they only sell the brush in stores, and though they have it in the warehouse, they won't mail me the missing part because the item isn't sold on their website.

I explained I was coming to understand how they got their reputation and will go to Home Depot for another brush.

-- Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall